• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front Heat Exchanger 09 FX Nytro

FEZ

Guys
Bought a very slightly Damaged 09 (heat excahger and belly pan) from an isnurance deal here 60 days ago. It was a total that NEVER should have totalled... Anyway this weekend I decided it was "time" to do the Exchanger.. The Dealer I use said. "no bid deal" be sure you have a port-a-power to "get you some room" to get the old out and the new in. So I removed the Track, drive axle. Got the sled where skis were waist high on a work bench. Drilled and ground out rivets and you could move that exchanger exactly 1/4" front and back.. YUCK>>>>.... So I spread the tunnel as far as i dare with the port-a-power as directed.. and you could then move it exactly 1/2"... WOW.. Now I am getting a little worried.. I am in a friends shop/ have to be gone cleaned up by business monday no matter what.... I called the dealer I use they insist "oh this is an easy deal" I later heard they were cutting the non-clutch side bottm tube off the new exchangers, spreading the whole tunnel a scary ammount with a port a power etc.. Nothing I was willing to do.. So I split off the front end (the front frame work is outside the bulkheads) Drilled out the tunnel rivets, loosened the motor mounts and spread the non-clutch side bulk-head about 2" to remove and install the exchanger. Had to dismantle the RH foot hold... GOOD GOD... Anyone ever done this ?? BE WARE the short-cuts the dealers use are scary.. Cutting one of the inlets on a new $400 part.. Is that Psyco or what???
Turned into about a 14 hour job.. There is a few hours for my learning and inital denyial on what had to be done.. I bet 9-10 is about as fast as you could do it by yourself..

Mike

Is it possible to replumb the cooling system to run some different heat exchangers under the top of the tunnel or maybe under the running boards similar to the Deltabox chassis? Maybe a bunch of work could be avoided by drilling a few holes and running some longer hoses?

God I would hate to "experiment" with a cooling system by installing a different cooler/ and YES there is room and you could do it... These are pretty tough and takes a big hit to ruin one... Yammy is pretty nutty about systems and how they work together. i am involved in a Trail grooming project that runs 3 VK professionals. Well on the 2011 we just bought one of the Dough Heads insisted we get the 110Volt heater for quicler start and take off time in the winter.. It was an offered option.. Got one had it installed.. That sled ran hott from Day 1. We had 3 Different VK's all pulling identical groomers.. Finally after a most of a winter with the temp light on and off. I took that heater out and put in a 3" section of Fuel fill hose from my shop.. Never got hot again.. So I figure if they are that touchy.. Especailly with a sled that new.. Do it right.. I am Glad to have the feedback.. I am certian Now based upon doing it and seeing what is invloved that there is NO dealer doing these in a few hours... NO Way...

Looks like a great set up.. Please anyone with the Factory front exchanger whacked needs to look real hard at that option.. There are Three water inlets on that front stick exchanger.. I am sure that is to prevent air locks.. May take some plumbing and "an awesome set of tools" to make it happen.. If It were a week ago I would go that way for sure...

Mike

I just did the front exchanger on my 40th apex... after drilling out 26 rivets, removing all and anything else in the way it was out... rear long motor mount bolt had to come out... yes very big job... but i didn't have to "spread" any of the tunnel, yamaha uses the exchanger as part of the frame... once its out and you sit and look at the design, its the first thing to go in, and usually the last to come out... but pretty smart really, reminds me of some of the street bikes that use the engine as part of the lower frame...

If yamaha would just give a little more clearance, so the chance of damaging the cooler wasn't so great, it wouldn't be such a problem.

I mean, its not really a problem, but come on, a little more clearance would be nice.

I am running the MPI tunnel coolers on my S/C Nytro, and deleted the radiator and it runs cooler than it did stock, no heating problems. Don't know how it would work compared to deleting the front heat exchanger, but I think it would work. I did it mostly just to get the rad. and the heat that comes with it out from under the hood.

Agman 57 said:
I am running the MPI tunnel coolers on my S/C Nytro, and deleted the radiator and it runs cooler than it did stock, no heating problems. Don't know how it would work compared to deleting the front heat exchanger, but I think it would work. I did it mostly just to get the rad. and the heat that comes with it out from under the hood.

And the Icing???

Bought the sled as an insurance "total" previous owner jumped somthing and landed on top ot a T-type fence post.. Tore/ Broke out the RH Rear bolt on the oil pan.. No leaks no Damage to pan other than that Loop affair the goes around the bolt was broken open.. Ruined the belly pan... I installed a longer bolt into what remained of the factory threads on the block.. NO PROBLEM.. The previous owner threw a fit and had it wiritten for a new Motor.. My agent told me he thought this was a "hoakey" deal....The Exchanger was ruined by the post... I did not spread the tunnel you do not have too once everything is drilled loose...

I just had a dealer tell me "his guys" were doing these in "a couple hours" Flat rate is 9-11 hrs depedning on model.. This guy was FULL OF you know what... I am pretty handy.. Was affraid I had missed something..
Bought it south of 4 grand 900 mile 09... Have Less than $4500 into it and it is virtually and literally "like new"

Mike

After all that work I wouldn't even think about putting the plastic "engine protector" back on the sled.

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 124
I have always had a "better" skid or belly pan protector and yes I did waste $37.00 on a new "engine protector" Have plans to get some sort of belly protector,,, ANy suggestions This deal should have amounted to a scratch, or gouge in a belly pan not a totaled machine..

FEZ said:
I have always had a "better" skid or belly pan protector and yes I did waste $37.00 on a new "engine protector" Have plans to get some sort of belly protector,,, ANy suggestions This deal should have amounted to a scratch, or gouge in a belly pan not a totaled machine..

The pic above shows the skid plate I build. That's my suggestion.

Back