• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Radiator relocate?

Anthonynytro

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha nytro xtx
2007 Yamaha Phazer GT
Hey guys so last season I had a non stop over heating on a day trip, the snow was dusty so it kept slushing up infront of the heat exchanger and it would cause it to over heat. I know these sleds have air flow problems so i removed the hood and strapped it to my backpack and that solved the over heating issue. I already installed the gauge console vent and that seem to help abit. Is there a way to move the radiator to help flow?
IMG_20220205_140439.jpg

not kidding, spray the tunnel cooler with pam or silicone to stop the snow from sticking like in a snow blower.

I make a kit that adds a second rad fan for additional cooling. Really no place to relocate the rad.

I make a kit that adds a second rad fan for additional cooling. Really no place to relocate the rad.
I'm almost thinking about removing the headlight and just adding a small led light bar to the front so the rad has better cooling

not kidding, spray the tunnel cooler with pam or silicone to stop the snow from sticking like in a snow blower.
Really? I read that it didn't work well for people.

it works until it wears off. i discovered the hack as a teen shoveling dog poop with a rusty shovel. worked great until it wore off and needed re application.

i think the nitro sleds might be worse on ice build up from the lack of running board coolers. i wish yellowknife's videos where still up as he delt with the ice build up a lot at -40.

I had some cooling trouble riding slow (30mph tops) while my son got comfortable on his first big sled. I started to look at options, and felt that adding the vent below the headlight was a good idea, but the dash vent was a bad idea, because it would let air bypass the radiator instead of pass through it. Also, I added an extra cooler in the tunnel, like the MTX has. I’ve also added a longer snow flap to keep from roosting people, but it may help keep some snow on the coolers. I’ve also added SnowThrowers on the skis, to keep snow flying toward the skid.

Attachments

• 63687369-75B9-471B-BDB2-B05F274E4DD7.jpeg
    63687369-75B9-471B-BDB2-B05F274E4DD7.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 76
  • A77E0659-2C74-40A5-96BB-7BEB2F77691F.jpeg
    A77E0659-2C74-40A5-96BB-7BEB2F77691F.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 74
I had some cooling trouble riding slow (30mph tops) while my son got comfortable on his first big sled. I started to look at options, and felt that adding the vent below the headlight was a good idea, but the dash vent was a bad idea, because it would let air bypass the radiator instead of pass through it. Also, I added an extra cooler in the tunnel, like the MTX has. I’ve also added a longer snow flap to keep from roosting people, but it may help keep some snow on the coolers. I’ve also added SnowThrowers on the skis, to keep snow flying toward the skid.
IMG_20220105_090907~2.jpg

This is where I was thinking about adding 3" frogzskin vents to let the hot air out.
I added ice scratchers to it but it just helped ice everything up.

View attachment 169657
This is where I was thinking about adding 3" frogzskin vents to let the hot air out.
I added ice scratchers to it but it just helped ice everything up.
Letting air flow through the radiator is key. BOP’s secondary fan kit would definitely help. I’ll be adding it IF I have any cooling issues this season.

I had the BOP dual rad fan kit from Travis on my ‘13 Nytro for three seasons and didn’t overheat once while my buddy’s stock Nytro had his lighting up hot on a fairly regular basis. Like most things he’s brought to market, the kit is money well spent if you ask me.

The nytro dash vent kit from MO FLO helps a lot, especially at idle.

Check and make sure the fan comes on - if it isn’t check the fuse.

My nytro ran great, then one day had huge heating problems - it was the fuse.
MS

Make sure you service the cooling system periodically. Old, neglected coolant can cause overheating issues. A 50/50 blend is usually sufficient for our winters. Higher antifreeze concentrations decrease the efficiency of the cooling system.

Adding Water Wetter helps a bit with heat transfer. That and a 50/50 coolant mix helps. From the factory, the coolant was way too concentrated, something like 70 or 80% or maybe even 100%. If you still have the original fill, it's way past its best before date.

While you have the system empty, pull and check the thermostat to confirm it opens at the rated temperature.

You can also add a temperature gauge to keep an eye on it. I like these little Koso type gauges with a 26mm hose adapter.

My son's 2010 Nytro has no overheating issues and didn't add any Water Wetter or did anything else special. He does have some tunnel icing issues but knocks it out once in while. He also has the gauge to monitor temps.

When I had my MP, I found that even with that small engine, the radiator and fan were not able to cool it enough if moving with little or no snow but did if stopped. It's designed more to cool the engine when idling but if making power, was not able to keep up.

I have a Mountaintech IP vent kit (lets out a crazy amount of heat), Mo-Flo panel vent kit (bought cheap NOS on eBay), and run scratchers on my XTX during low snow conditions. I've only seen the temp light once in over 8,000 miles and it was driving on what felt like several miles of frozen mud logging trail with no snow.

I have a Trail Tank and I am running the Mo-Flow console vent, BOP dual fan kit, shimmed radiator, and water wetter and have not had a temp light come on once in 4,500 miles. GB

Back