• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front Skid Shock Relocation Mod

There was a fairly good article in the last Snow Goer magazine I believe that was talking about the new SR Viper MTX models and was written by the head of Yamaha Snowmobiles USA engineering.

So does anyone know if the 2014 viper xtx has the same skid shocks as the m8?
Or anyone know the lengths?

So does anyone know if the 2014 viper xtx has the same skid shocks as the m8?
Or anyone know the lengths?

Not sure about the length when you factor in different years, as they started changing rail designs.
That said, if you compare a 2014 XTX front skid shock to a 2014 M8000 shock, the XTX one is about 3/4" longer fully extended. I believe that the M8000 limiter straps are slightly shorter as well.
The differences would be due to the fact that you typically would use less total length on the mountain sled, for a more shallow approach angle and less trenching.

The rear shocks are the same length.
HTH
Bill

Just curious if anyone else has tried this relocate. What were your results? I have the 160# spring in the front which made the steering lighter but the weight transfer seems very minimal. I had a nytro xtx prior and really liked the way you could pop the throttle coming off an approach and easily lift the front end. Just looking for more weight transfer.

Curious to know if the front skid shock from Bill Mohr would have a major impact on my 2018 Viper RTX? I have no seat time on it yet, picked it up a month ago... Sled is getting C&A razors as well if that makes any difference.

Curious to know if the front skid shock from Bill Mohr would have a major impact on my 2018 Viper RTX? I have no seat time on it yet, picked it up a month ago... Sled is getting C&A razors as well if that makes any difference.
It’s a spring. I liked it. With CA’s you won’t have to worry about pushing with a light front end. You can get similar feel by cranking the heck out of your stock spring but spring won’t last long and hard on the shock. Go for it after you try stocker for awhile.

Just curious if anyone else has tried this relocate. What were your results? I have the 160# spring in the front which made the steering lighter but the weight transfer seems very minimal. I had a nytro xtx prior and really liked the way you could pop the throttle coming off an approach and easily lift the front end. Just looking for more weight transfer.
You guys play with rear shock pressure on your xtx? You really want the minimum needed to prevent bottoming. For me that would be two settings. One for off trail and one for trail. That Hygear kit with Evol should help to since the Evol should allow you to run lower pressure without bottoming.

So i just picked up a 15 Viper mtx, do i already have the updated rails and shock location?? I'm not in the garage to check at the moment.

It's funny i saw the email notification as soon as i found my answer. DOHH I will be doing this mod as well as the 160 or 180 spring, im a bigger guy so maybe the 180 will be the right rate for me.

Looking for a new center shock as the stock coilover is bent slightly, are the air shocks and tougher then the colis?

I dont believe they are any tougher but thats normally not a issue as long as the shock is right length for intended travel. For example if you move that center shock forward and skid bottoms hard the shock could bottom against itself rather than the skid hitting the bumpstops. That will destroy the shock or break the skid. Check clearances.

absolutely will have to check travel and what not. The 16 center skid shock is the same eye to eye. Now hunting for a set of 16+ skis.

absolutely will have to check travel and what not. The 16 center skid shock is the same eye to eye. Now hunting for a set of 16+ skis.
You need to also compare the travel of shock since that is what determines if the skid will bottom before the shock bottoms on itself.

Back