• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FYI - Royal Purple, Race-Gas, Torco octane booster stability

I bought a case of Boostane two seasons ago and tried it for a couple of tanks of fuel. I saw the knock light on the 300 setting more frequently then I had when running my normal Torco octane booster so I went back to just using Torco as I am more confident with its performance.
Unfortunately I never data logged any runs when I used the Boostane to have any real data which in hindsight would have been good for comparison.
It was the Boostane Professional I tried.

Last edited:

That just rained on the Boostane parade LOL :). After lots of reading, I'm down using either Torco or Boostane. Thanks to everyone posting on this. TY is the best!

Torco works! Its amazing, saved my boosted apex engine when I had to use 87 in the UP one time and the motor was set up as 91 oct min. I was surprised when @Srxspec posted about storage and getting on the valves though, that will change my apex build a little. I will build into the fuel system a way to pump the tank clean and refill with fresh 91 and the Fitch fuel catalysts.

Theres plenty of boostane vs torco topics on google. Happy Reading! Its possible the boostane formula requires a hair more product per gallon( how can a home owner test and verify ratios?) then they estimate for a certain octane number increase but they claim 2.5 oz per 10 gallon for 4 number increase, torco wants 16oz per 10 gallon for 4 number increase. Even if you doubled the boostane dose you are still at 1/3 the amount of what torco wants and I can pretty much guarantee you you wont see any knock with 5oz of boostane pro in 10 gallons, unless something else is going on. . Ive data logged plenty and 2-2.5oz in a full tank of pump 91 eliminates any timing being pulled on 290 tune. Thats my experience with it anyway. Im looking forward to feedback from others next winter.

I had forgot about the FFC magic modules you just drop in gas tanks! Do you have one in the tank on your sled? banging around inside of there as you ride can't be great can it? Can you wire tie it to the fuel pick up or something?

As @jonlafon1 mentioned, you could figure out something for the FFC....but I just drop them in and have no problem with anything getting messed up.

just ordered a 5 gallon pail of Boostane for 499.00 canadian on amazon, will be here tomorrow. compared to 32.00 for 16oz... is 1/3 the price=40 cans.
5 gallon!! Wow. You obviously plan on using it in other vehicles besides sleds?

Hopefully it smells better than what you were using. Nasty! Worse than being behind 2strokes.
So that's why I only ever saw your snow dust , like a mile ahead of me??
Thought you may have mentioned you didn't like the Klotz booster?. :rofl:. It was damn cold that day so I was running it thicker..

That just rained on the Boostane parade LOL :). After lots of reading, I'm down using either Torco or Boostane. Thanks to everyone posting on this. TY is the best!

Ya, reading that is not a good Boostane endorsement for sure. I wonder if you upped its dosage as they really don't put near as much in as say the Dragon concentrate or the Torco.

My favorite so far has been the Dragon race fuel concentrate. Then the Torco. Have a buddy that likes the good Race-Gas booster, but I haven't tried it either.

Klotz booster is absolute garbage and worthless IMO. Adding Klotz in any dosage to 93 does NOTHING to tame the timing being pulled and flashing the dash on my 300 tune. Epic fail for an octane booster, smells funny and ruins plastic and paint though if you want that.

I never experimented with upping the Boostane mixture as I just quickly reverted back to Torco as I have been using it for a long time and know it works.

It effectively stopped any timing being pulled on my 290 tune at a treatment rate of about 2-2.5oz per 10 gallons. As we all know different snow conditions, temperatures , sled setups, base fuel qualities etc can induce timing retard for one person and maybe not another. Like I mentioned, even doubling the dose to 5oz per tank is 1/3 the amount that torco wants so from an additional cost per gallon standpoint its still far cheaper to use. Experiment with a can and see what it does on your sled and if its effective and what it costs you to use. For me its the cheapest option by a long shot and works great.

It effectively stopped any timing being pulled on my 290 tune at a treatment rate of about 2-2.5oz per 10 gallons. As we all know different snow conditions, temperatures , sled setups, base fuel qualities etc can induce timing retard for one person and maybe not another. Like I mentioned, even doubling the dose to 5oz per tank is 1/3 the amount that torco wants so from an additional cost per gallon standpoint its still far cheaper to use. Experiment with a can and see what it does on your sled and if its effective and what it costs you to use. For me its the cheapest option by a long shot and works great.

Unreal that you can use so little of it per 10 gallons. I was doing 8 oz of Torco and Dragon Concentrate to 5 gal of fuel, or 16 oz per 10 gal. to keep deto at bay, even then it would pull some timing now and again, however I found the Dragon Concentrate to do a better job at it.

I was wondering how you spoke earlier about such a little amount you'd add, wondering how it did anything compared to the others, then I read about it and that being the amount they recommended. I downloaded the APP on my phone and it's amazing how effective it is if it really works as well as they say. Of course I fell for the Klotz too and that stuff proved worthless to me at any dosage, so we'll see next winter I guess.

I used klotz for a long time on 2 strokes and it would work to keep the octane warning away on my 800r doo if I happened to gas somewhere with poor fuel. I used it in the winder too and I found where it may have helped a little but didnt seem to be more effective doubling or tripling the dose so I keep some around for small engine storage etc. I rarely have seen a knock light on my 290 tune but logs would show small amounts of timing being pulled here and there. When I topped off my bulk tank here at the house, I had maybe 10-15 gallons in it of gas from the summer. I topped off the remaining 70 gallons with 91 from the pump. When I toggled to the 290 tune I saw anywheres from .2 to 1.2 degrees of timing being pulled on full throttle runs. I was happy because I hadnt opened a bottle of boostane yet so figured it would be a good time to see if it was effective. I added a few oz and rode the sled around a bit to ensure it was mixed well and flowing through the system. I had no more timing being pulled at all. Now I wasnt having huge amounts of timing being pulled to begin with so its possible if my knock light was going off like a xmas tree prior, it would of needed a little more. I cant answer that with absolute certainty but thats the beauty of datalogging is you can add a bit more and monitor and see what it takes for your application. Make sure its doing what you want it to do for you.

Back