• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

gear case oil

12pointer

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LTX SE blue and white-Ulmer clutching, 8dn belt, MBRP trail can, J&T 4th wheel kit, Shaper bars,
does anyone know the amount of gear case oil to fill it. I sucked mine out and only got 7 oz. out . the level prior was half the site glass. So I am wondering how much is left in it or did I get most of it out.

12 oz and site glass is half full. Just changed mine. Tried to suck oil out with a vacuum pump but couldn't get the hose all the way down so just loosened all bolts and cracked open the cover.

I just changed mine put royal purple full synthetic 70-90. First time using any of their products. Its got quite the color to it.

60% Cenpeco 70-90 gear lube 40% Transynd ATF. The Cenpeco oil has Temp Tac so it clings when cold like bar and chain oil staying on the parts. I put a bit over the recommended amount in so my sight glass is just at the full mark.

I was going to try and crack it but I got the most of the bottom loose but cant get the one on side under actuator loose . so dam hard to get on it . got pissed and tightened them back up . I don't know what to do. how are you guys getting on all these dam torx heads.

think its total bull crap Yamaha couldn't put a drain plug in it.

I was going to try and crack it but I got the most of the bottom loose but cant get the one on side under actuator loose . so dam hard to get on it . got pissed and tightened them back up . I don't know what to do. how are you guys getting on all these dam torx heads.
1/4in drive and a swivel if needed.

I changed all the bolts to 6mm hex head, those bolts suck. I think they are grade 3 bolts to boot, 1 step better than a shear pin.

@STAIN - "One step better than a shear pin" - that's CLASSIC! So I don't want to start a Gear Oil War but it's funny how the Owners Manual says "The correct lubricant to use in the chain case is Synthetic Chain Lube" and the Service Manual states "Yamaha Snowmobile Chain Case Lube." My guess is because the Service Manual is dealer-oriented, but for the Owners Manual it doesn't even specify a gear oil weight, just that it's synthetic. Also for you guys looking for an inexpensive way to suck the fluid out of the chain case rather than split the case - go to your neighborhood boating/marine store and ask for the pump used for refilling the drive gear oil in sterndrives - it's a $10 pump that screws onto the top of the gear oil bottle.

I would like to have 5 minutes with the dumb #*$&@ who designed this. 1. No drain plug. 2 shitty #*$&@ soft metal torx screws. And 3. Rivot the bottom side panel so that it just tears the hell out of your arms. Oh believe me medical attention would be needed.

I changed all the bolts to 6mm hex head, those bolts suck. I think they are grade 3 bolts to boot, 1 step better than a shear pin.
I just changed all mine also. its a must in my opinion. thank you for the advise.!!!

I just changed all mine also. its a must in my opinion. thank you for the advise.!!!

What length of 6mm bolts were you guys putting in, I plan on changing my chaincase oil tomorrow and would like to put 6mm bolts in instead, the stock bolts sound like junk. I'm at work right now and have a lot of different size m6 bolts to choose from lol, do you guys add washers too?
Thanks

I haven't changed the chain case oil on either one of mine yet, only 300 miles on them..
Question is....has anyone thought to look if there's room to drill and tap a drain plug in the bottom of the cover?

Back