• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Geared down 2009 phazer

Phazer500

Extreme
Hey guys I got an '09 phazer rtx and just put a freeride and 17 tooth upper gear on my sled. And was wondering if with the gearing I will have to watch for any over-revving with the sled and possibly having to clutch it? Or maybe if anyone has some experience with gearing them. Just lemme know if you guys have any idea. Thanks!

I know my mtx with 19 tooth, which is the same ratio as a short track with a 17 tooth, does not have enough power to pull my 144 freeride to the rev limiter. I see about 88mph on the dream-o-meter on hardpack/ice which is 80 on GPS.

500 I am going the opposite.Trying a 19 and had 17.We will find out but in past yes clutching was needed but effect of gearing on speed was always more than clutching.

When I put Freeride on mine which had stock clutching it still hit rev limit just like before track but I lost topend. Clutching got SOME topend back and I dont hit revlimiter anymore.

Just got in from a quick spin around the land. It doesn't exactly have the ski lifting ability I'd hoped for. I have the gear and a freeride on it. Maybe just cause it was all powder and I spun. I'm not sure.

how much ski lift do you want? I run middle hole on the strap and when I put my feet on the rear of the running boards I can get the skis up for a ways at any speed under 50mph. Off the line IF the track hooks up I can carry them all the way to 60mph IF my feet are on the rear of the boards. With my feet on the front It will only go about 2 or 3 sled lengths before they come down which is what I want. Too much ski lift is what gives these sleds a bad rap for poor handling. Also mine is an MTX so my rear springs are about 30% softer than RTX springs and it DOES bottom out on huge G-bumps but not nearly as often since I put a fox float in the center position.

Cannondale. you ride the same conditions and trails as i do, can you lift your skis? No way i can, but i USE TO have a ton on the front so it'd steer. Now, not so much, BUT, i do have those bigger stopper blocks on the rear rails to limit wieght transfer. I may have to try switching that back to stock? Would that have an ill side effect on the skid 'coupling' correctly?

My sled is set up almost neutral like Blueironrangers.Cant turn if skis are in air.But yes it is easy to set it up to wheelie over backwards if wanted but why?

cannondale27 said:
My sled is set up almost neutral like Blueironrangers.Cant turn if skis are in air.But yes it is easy to set it up to wheelie over backwards if wanted but why?
That's how i feel. People ride my sleds and get sore arms i have so much weight on the front! My last 440 Rev the "chick" i sold it to couldn't turn it, lol. I always hated push. Maybe it's the quad? Just that i'm never happy unless it turns perfect!
I would get in trouble with power steering!

I can NEVER get my skis to lift...ever. No matter where I stand or how much I try. ice, trail, or powder. My strap is on the second hole from the loosest setting....wont happen. Not sure how you guys r doing it. They DO lift a little judging by the lack of tracks in the snow but in no way anything perceivable.....weird.

QUADSCRIB said:
I can NEVER get my skis to lift...ever. No matter where I stand or how much I try. ice, trail, or powder. My strap is on the second hole from the loosest setting....wont happen. Not sure how you guys r doing it. They DO lift a little judging by the lack of tracks in the snow but in no way anything perceivable.....weird.

Mines not a little amount of lift, mine will pick them up a good 4-6" if I hookup off the line, too the point I can wiggle the handle bars back and forth and not have ANY control up to 50mph. My rear springs are 30% softer, like I said, and I weigh 200# with all my gear on. You may weigh less and don't have enough "force" to rock it back. I love being able to pick the skis up at slower speeds and let the rear skid do the work over a line of bumps, but I ALSO like being able to plant the skis in the corners too and turn when I need too. Its all about finding the happy medium for you and your sled, it will either TURN well or do BUMPS well and you need to find a setting in between that works well for you. With my float in the center position its pretty adjustable, at 70# it picks the front up with ease and handles the big bumps and at 50# it keeps the skis down and does stutter bumps well but makes it really hard to pick the skis up.

08 RTX are set at level 2. If you set it on 3 its a lote better. I think yamaha did this for better flotation. Typical short lug track like 1" have longer straps to allow the skid to dig in to the snow.

Just adjusted my strap to be on above the bottom hole and it definitely seemed to lift the front better. It was really powdery with no good base and it lifted them decent so I think on hard packed it'll hoist 'em nicely.

Back