• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Go for the Viper?

Motormom

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Phazer RTX
Hi all,
New to the forum, riding an 08 Phazer now which I like a lot, but very interested in the new Viper and looking at a '15 R-TX LE that the dealer ordered last Spring.
I know it will be a lot better than the Phazer, but the dealer also has a leftover '13 Nytro thats much cheaper.

Ergos seem good on both, I like to stand while riding, and both seem to fit well. Seems like the handling will be a lot better on Viper. But the finish on Nytro seems better, more like Phazer.
I'm not into a lot of modding, just studded track and maybe higher windshield.
I've read a lot on here. Such a tough decision though. I want to keep this sled for a while.
Thoughts?

Thats true.
Happy with yours?
Might have to go all out.

really happy with mine I have had phazer and apex and ridden nytro.nytro was closest but in my opinion much better what kind of riding you do?

Mostly trails, we like the back trails, feeder trails etc, in Vermont.

We moved from phazers and I loved those for boondocking. The new vipers are just as much fun but lots more power and better suspension too . Now that we have the mpi turbos on we are more then double the HP of the phazers. That will keep a smile on you face.

I would go with the viper. I never rode a nytro but from what I read it seems like you have to do a lot of front end work to get it to handle decent. The viper on the other hand (set up correctly) is a great trail machine. I personally have the 137inch track cause I like to go off trail a lot, but still love to hit the tight twisty trails, and the viper handles them like a champ, tell it where to go and it will go there. As for the fit and finish I had the same concerns as you do. My dad's 05 vector has way better fit and finish but at the end of the day it's a great looking machine and the finish is still pretty damn good. Yamaha wouldn't have put it out if they didn't think it was a quality product and I believe it is. The only thing the nytro has on the viper is top speed. I only got mine up to 85mph but in the tight trails you barely get up to those speeds anyways. IMHO get the viper!!!

Hi all,
New to the forum, riding an 08 Phazer now which I like a lot, but very interested in the new Viper and looking at a '15 R-TX LE that the dealer ordered last Spring.
I know it will be a lot better than the Phazer, but the dealer also has a leftover '13 Nytro thats much cheaper.

Ergos seem good on both, I like to stand while riding, and both seem to fit well. Seems like the handling will be a lot better on Viper. But the finish on Nytro seems better, more like Phazer.
I've read a lot on here. Such a tough decision though. I want to keep this sled for a while.
Thoughts?
I had a Nytro for four years. An absolutely good sled. It had a lot of upgrades and it was fast. but after a day of riding I was beat. The Nytro is a heavy feeling sled and you know that your rode after a day on it. I switched to a Viper last year and after the first mile, I was grinning from ear to ear. The viper is so well balanced, it gives you a completely different feel and for me a boat load more confidence on rough trails. It feels light and is less twitchy and stays level. To me, there is no comparison between the two. Yes, the fit and finish is less desirable and I have had the sled in twice for issues but it is a 14 and I know Yamaha has worked out some of the bugs it had. If Yamaha was still making the NYTRO as their mid market Rough trail sled, I would be on a different brand. This after being on a Yamaha for the past 28 years. Do yourself a favor and spend the cash on the Viper the ride quality is far superior to the Nytro.

I had a Nytro. Sold it and bought a 2015 RTX SE. Only change thus far was windshield. Viper is so much better than my Nytro and I too liked to stand while I ride at times:
- Viper handles way better, far less tippy and so far very little ski lift. Nytro was bad in this area
- Power very similary to Nytro
- I can stand on Viper too and seating is still command forward
- Suspension is way better. Nytro rear is bad, Viper is great for me. I can actually sit down and still ride over rough trail. On the Nytro I had to stand. Too much ice build up and rear suspension was a brick.

I'm super happy with my Viper so far...

Hi all,

Thoughts?

If you ride standing a lot on the Phazers I think you will love the Viper too. When we got the Vipers one thing I was very worried about was not being able to throw it around when playing in the deep and I knew the Viper was alot heavier then our Phazer RTX's . Well I am very pleased to say that even though its heaver on paper, you CANT feel the extra weight on the snow when you throwing it around. I only have about 300 miles on it now and still leaning the vipers balance point but its been easier to learn then the phazer originally was and I could carve that around a dime if needed. As far at the standing goes I have a XTX LE which has the taller MTX tripod mount bars and they are perfect for standing riders, with a RTX you might have to get a riser depending on your height but there is lots of options there . I liked the narrow tunnel of the phazer alot, I did not like the wider viper tunnel at first (30 miles) but I got over it or used to that quickly because that's a non issue now.

Last edited:
I'm 5'8" and I was able to stand up very comfortably on the ltx dx I demoed a few weeks ago. Very nice sled, I was impressed with only 45mins of riding.

Back