• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Good grip adhesive?

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a decent off the shelf adhesive that works well for handlebar grips. I don't have time to order grip specific adhesive like what RSI makes.

I have both Walmart and Canadian tire stores close to where I live.

Thanks for the help.

I used Dollar Store 2 part epoxy. Mixed up a batch to do one side, spread it on the bar and slipped on the RSI long grip. Repeat for the other side. Had to use compressed air to help them on but that had the effect of making the epoxy spit out of the end of the grip.

I have used hair spray. It's slick and drys like glue. I've done this on dirt bikes, not on my snowmobile I haven't had the need.

I can't help you out about the glue but when I did mine I put a ton of glue on the bar then took a blow dryer to warm up the grip before sliding that on. I did that on my second attempt, my first I didn't warm up the grip and it was a lot more difficult.

yooper1 said:
I have used hair spray. It's slick and drys like glue. I've done this on dirt bikes, not on my snowmobile I haven't had the need.

X2 this works fast and well on a bicycle. But not sure on a sled but a cheap fix and I would try it!

Hmmm ok thanks guys! I have high temp silicone in my tool box, hairspray in the house and I picked up some epoxy last night. Sounds like I have options if the epoxy does not work.

Thanks for the tips.

Hi Guys!

I do NOT suggest Hairspray!
It works great on dirtbikes, quads, etc.
(Have done the exact same! lol)

However, on our sleds, you are putting a flat heating element on a curved bar.
This encourages folds in the element.
It is these folds that create weak points and cause the elements to fail.

Why does the adhesive effect this?

Because a thick adhesive will help prevent the folds from becoming a sharp kink that is about guaranteed to cause the heating element to fail.

A thicker adhesive is MUCH better to help prevent element failure.
Epoxy does great because it helps protect the element pretty much forever.
The more flexible adhesives don't do as well.

A thin adhesive is about worthless to protect the heating element.

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

Thanks Dude!
I appreciate that! :drink:

Do have to say, I know a bunch in my forte' like the electronics no question, however, there are many guys on here that know other parts much better than myself.
Guys like Superfast, Kevin from Port, Mr Sled etc, that I call on for insight also. (And MANY others!)
They have phenomenal knowledge in the mechanicals I personally can only hope to eventually attain.

I appreciate all the guys that help me also! :Rockon:

Best thing is, the amount of HELPFUL knowledge on this site is UNREAL!

:rocks:

PS Meeting us in Muni this weekend? :sled1:

Yamabond 7 for handlebar grips. Available at your dealer.

They use this on the airbox stacks as well I believe.

Back