• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Good little story and some questions for you guys

davessrx said:
most in my price range are 2005-2007's. I'll probably going with a vector. Anything I should look for?

Stay away from the 05's if only for the rear skid. 06 and up have the more comfortable Mono Shock skid. Coming from a Polaris you do not want a 2005!

So correct me if I'm wrong your saying the skid is the only reason not do buy an 05, I respectfully disagree on your opinion. I would say the rear stock shock is the only down fall. this is the same skid they are still using today in the Nytro's and RTX's. And too, I have an 08 with the Mono and it is very good skid, but with a shock upgrade on the 05 with the CK skid this bad boy will take the bumps at any speed with I cant say that for the Mono just saying.

cannonball said:
So correct me if I'm wrong your saying the skid is the only reason not do buy an 05, I respectfully disagree on your opinion. I would say the rear stock shock is the only down fall. this is the same skid they are still using today in the Nytro's and RTX's. And too, I have an 08 with the Mono and it is very good skid, but with a shock upgrade on the 05 with the CK skid this bad boy will take the bumps at any speed with I cant say that for the Mono just saying.

Yes that is what I am saying and it's OK with me if you disagree. I did as you have done with my 05 Vec and yes it was better, it still wasn't close to the ride of the Polaris he now has. If he jumps from his Polaris to a stock 05 Vec...IMO...he will not like it. Before my Vec I was on all Polaris'. A Mono is a better choice for trail riding and that's what he says he does. If he's ditchbanging, yes the Pro/No Active in the 2005 is a better choice with an upgraded rear track shock.

I put an M10 in mine and 14,000 miles later I still LOVE the sled! ;)!

4strokeluvr111 said:
cannonball said:

Yes that is what I am saying and it's OK with me if you disagree. I did as you have done with my 05 Vec and yes it was better, it still wasn't close to the ride of the Polaris he now has. If he jumps from his Polaris to a stock 05 Vec...IMO...he will not like it. Before my Vec I was on all Polaris'. A Mono is a better choice for trail riding and that's what he says he does. If he's ditchbanging, yes the Pro/No Active in the 2005 is a better choice with an upgraded rear track shock.

Your last statement is a strong testament to get a 05 Vector. Out side of the skid debate, there are many options to fix that problem. My 05 was a diamond in the rough, little tweaking here and there he'll have a fine machine that will last years. I don't know about yours but my is sneaky fast! :4STroke: Might see you on the trail today going to head up to Rice Lake and cut over to the Gandy Dancer. :sled1:

cannonball said:
4strokeluvr111 said:
cannonball said:

Your last statement is a strong testament to get a 05 Vector. Out side of the skid debate, there are many options to fix that problem. My 05 was a diamond in the rough, little tweaking here and there he'll have a fine machine that will last years. I don't know about yours but my is sneaky fast! :4STroke: Might see you on the trail today going to head up to Rice Lake and cut over to the Gandy Dancer. :sled1:

I'm not going to debate this.....you have your opinion...I have mine and it's all good as long as we like what we ride. Ride safe today! ;)! :4STroke: :rocks:

the only skid I ever hated was the proaction and my next would be the extra 10 pooplaris with the pps fox. I swear my 1986 phazer took bumps better than the proaction that was in my SRX. I also think my 02 edge took bumps better than my IQ fusion. Setups maybe? What shock do you recommend in a 2005??? price????

I believe the rear shock cost me about 625.00. When I purchased the Custom Axis shocks (pro series) for the rear skid I replaced center and rear, and had the fronts rebuilt with the twisted springs total cost was around 1800+. I had them set them up for 190# and trail riding. That was 2 years ago.

cannonball said:
I believe the rear shock cost me about 625.00. When I purchased the Custom Axis shocks (pro series) for the rear skid I replaced center and rear, and had the fronts rebuilt with the twisted springs total cost was around 1800+. I had them set them up for 190# and trail riding. That was 2 years ago.

You can get a good used FAST M10 and a mount kit for >$800. But Dave, it is your $$$.

With the total cost of $1800 that was spent on the suspension(Edit: I guess that was the front too), a guy could buy a new M10 with mounting kit. I know my jaw hit the floor on a $625 shock. I guess I've never priced high perf parts.....

davessrx said:
Can't the shock on a 2005 be rebuilt and revalved?

The stock front ski shocks can, the stock rear track shock (the key one for ride quality) cannot. I don't remember about the front track shock. I had a dual rate spring from a Viper put over the front track shock and it helped how the skid reacted when it hit a bump.

4strokeluvr111 said:
cannonball said:

You can get a good used FAST M10 and a mount kit for >$800. But Dave, it is your $$$.

You quoted a used price for the M10 and if your going to compare what I (quoted) lets be fair, a new M10 is around 1200.00 to 1500.00+ (depending on which one) for the skid alone! and you haven't started on the front shocks. Let alone your going to sacrifice the top end a good 5 mph and your going to have to drill more holes in the tunnel just to mount it! So after much research I settled to do the whole job not just half of it. So the 1800.00 I spent might be high to some, but hey it's a whole lot cheaper then a new sled, that is set up to my weight and riding style and it's a blast to drive now.

DeerHuntr said:

I think we should go check that sled out for him. It's in our neck of the woods! Amazing that thing has sat that long without anyone riding it. It's truly a shame!

Even with that low of mileage though, it's a $4000 sled tops! Used Apex are starting to pop under $5K all over.

Thanks guys I did find a 2005 cheap about an hour and a half away. 2nd owner, he's 66 and getting out. Sled has never been used south of the Minocqua area...lots of miles though 10,000, but also a lot of newer parts. I'm checking it out this weekend. For the measly 500-1,000 miles I do a year I hope this works out.

BTW any sled that has been sitting that much may have issues with it sitting that much and long. I see it with cars all the time.

Back