• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grooming in Vermont with 08 VK Pro

vk10 overheatind

Maybe you could remove the vent cover that blocks airflow in front of the rad. They are in place when the machine comes from the factory but are user removable for more outside cooling air to reach the rad. It is behind a vent in the left side of the hood. No use putting snow on the running boards, the heat exchanger is in the tunnel up front on the right.

YETI said:
air19 check with your dealer but I was told if it flashes it is overheating but you can still go, BUT if it is solid light you have to turn it off. This could be wrong but my apex would flash when I felt it should not be all that hot, and this is what I was told. It never smelled to hot or boiled over. I think yamahas have a very touchy temp sensor(imo) If you find out differant let me know please.

My warning light and coolant light were on solid, and it felt hot. I was definitely overheated and it smelled each time it happened.

The first time my VK Pro overheated on the first day I drove it, it boiled out of the overflow tank. I've had the machine for a couple weeks now and on the most recent ride where it overheated going up the hill three times, it never overflowed. But it was always hot and it smelled.

Re: vk10 overheatind

Tom Lee said:
Maybe you could remove the vent cover that blocks airflow in front of the rad. They are in place when the machine comes from the factory but are user removable for more outside cooling air to reach the rad. It is behind a vent in the left side of the hood. No use putting snow on the running boards, the heat exchanger is in the tunnel up front on the right.

Listen to this guy, he's exactly right. There is a cover that blocks airflow to the auxilliary rad (for what reason I have yet to figure out).

Make sure it is pulled, perhsp your dealer has already done this but many people do not know it is there at all, including me until a coupl eof nights ago when I was looking at a friends '06 unit.

Vent cover removed

I took my vent cover off this morning. Thanks everyone for chiming in about this and as Yeti said it's just three screws.

I'm going to run it like this for a while to test and see if the increased air flow to the radiator is enough to solve my cooling problems on hardpack conditions. If not then I'll have the dealer work on a fan override switch so I can turn it on for the day during demanding conditions.

Here's a couple shots of the vent cover before and after on the left side of the cowl.

Why doesn't every Yamaha dealer know about this and simply remove it as part of their pre-delivery procedure? That's what forums like this are all about.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 155
I know, amazing isn't it? I almost can't fathom why the cover is even there in the first place!

When you think about it, this means that the majority of the VK owners out there are using the one tunnel cooler to satisfy the entire cooling needs of their sled. Wow.

Even though I knew enough to suggest this possible solution to your overheat problem, I have not had to remove it yet on my 2006 vk pro. I havent used mine for slow towing, instead I usually use it for hauling firewood or long hunting trips. I havent seen my temp light yet except for during startup when it lights up to verify that it is working. I think Wayne suggested this fix before me though. Good luck with the grooming.
Wish I had a groomer.
Anyone have one to donate? lol :4STroke: :yam:

The vent cover I believe is to help keep the windsheild from frosting over when riding in the powder, the snow gets on the rad and steams up the windsheild, at least thats what I'm told. Should sure help with cooling issues though.

How about removing the screws that hold it in place and re-install it using adhesive velcro, making it easily removable and re-installable. I use velcro to hold my gps in place so it should hold this small piece in place also.

Solid grooming run today

I think I just about have this VK Pro set up now for what I need. It was very solid today. Conditions - 22 degrees F, 2 inches of day old snow on a hardpack surface.

Worked in the morning gathering firewood, moving 4 big loads in my blue trailer behind the VK Pro. It's about a mile round trip to get the wood out and there is one big hill about 300 meters long with a 12% pitch to climb. With the vent cover removed and a lot more air coming in, the engine never showed any signs of overheating.

Worked in the afternoon grooming trails, pulled the 300 lb G2 about 20 Km over the hilliest part of my trail network. Again no signs of overheating.

As soon as we get back to just hardpack conditions I'll go out again for a good test. Maybe the vent cover is enough, but I've also got my dealer thinking about the right way to set up a control switch for the fan.

I was really enjoying myself today on the sled. With the VK Pro and the modifications talked about on this thread, I now have a better sled than my old SWT for my grooming application. Again I'll state very clearly that I really liked my old SWT, and for some uses I still understand why they are a superior sled. But for my uses right now the VK Pro is a winner.

With the VK Pro:

1) I am now getting better steering - I've run my same flexi-skis on both sleds. It's just been easier to get more weight on the front end of the VK Pro. I used to ride around with 100 lbs of weights on the nose of my SWT to create the same effect. Now I know when we get 2 feet of fresh powder I won't be as happy.

2) I have a big advantage in torque and pulling power. I'm riding up the same hills pulling the same groomer that I have for years behind the SWT, and with the VK Pro it really has more pulling power. I went up all my tough hills on today's grooming run and I just walked up all of them. No need to build up momentum. I was actually able to groom up hill (with my grooming teeth down in the snow) for the first time. Sometimes I did this by mistake with the SWT when I forgot to lift my grooming teeth and I'd get stuck pretty quick.

3) I have the cooling under control at the moment. More testing will follow, but I'm reasonable confident now, especially because I have a few more remedies available if I need them.

4) I have a speed advantage. I'm grooming about 50% faster than I was with the SWT. Most of this is related to pulling power, but some of it is that I'm simply not getting stuck as often. Getting stuck with a big sled and a grooming drag can suck up a half hour easily to get back on track. With non of these incidents it saves a lot of time, and I'm not worn out at the end of the day.

5) I do have to be much more careful about tipping. There have been a couple of times over the last two weeks where I've almost lost the VK Pro over to one side. I'm only 150 lbs and while I'm reasonable quick throwing my weight around, it doesn't make much difference with the VK Pro. With the SWT I could lean it to one side much easier. So I'm working on different riding techniques and being very careful when I'm out on the edges of my trails where it quickly changes from a packed trail to loose powder.

I can now highly recommend this sled for grooming. And when I have some spare time and I stop grooming, I'll get my gooseneck hitch setup working and pass on pictures of that.

I haven't kept track of gas mileage yet. Too busy getting everything set up the way I need it. Good idea though. I'll make an effort over the next two weeks.

One slight caution in comparing whatever numbers I come up with. While my groomer weighs in at 300 lbs, this isn't a fair comparison to a 300 lbs sled. I'm running my groomer most of the time with my grooming knives down in the snow creating an amazing amount of drag on the sled. I've got 60 harrow knives down about an inch in the snow surface. When that surface is hardpack you can really feel the difference when I move them up and down into the surface.

I'll start gathering numbers tomorrow.

I understand your load. and I think some of my sleds would compare to that drag after I load 'em up with stuff for the cabin. look forward to your further review of this seemingly sweet rig.

air19 after reading your post and others I decided to try my hand at grooming. So the wife and I drove 21 miles to camp and then snowmobiled 2 miles to another camp to get the home made groomer.(we met this guy grooming a few weeks ago with a tracked 4wheeler turns out him and I went to school together 25 yrs ago he said we could use his drag) his drag weighs about 200lbs. I hooked up and went down the trail 8'' new powder. Th VK hauled the drag with no problem even with snow rounded 2 to 3 feet high on the drag, while widening and cut high sides I almost lost it a couple of times (the wife looking to jump to safety). I groomed to a main trail and could not make the turn to get back on our trail so I had to stop and swing the drag by hand blocking the main trail 9 sleds had to wait for me to get out of the way (funny at the time) We had fun and groomed 16 miles on the odometer. Haveing the wife with me helped alot she could move the sled when I would mess up so I could hook the drag. Got stuck once trying to widen up hill in unpacked powder moved sled ahead to hard pack and used a rope to pull drag out the second time up the hill no problem powered up to 22 mph.

Back