• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GT Shock Dilemma

YammiMoose

Expert
Once again I need to figure out what to do with this shock. It has blown more times than I can count. I have hundreds of $$$ invested. I have sent it to Pioneer 3 times. Once for the initial re-valve and twice after that because I take one ride and it is back to being a springboard with oil all over the shaft. Each time I state this to Bruce. He just rebuilds it and that’s it. I can’t seem to get him to figure out why. Nor feel like he cares. Well, I am not going to send it back again. That would be nuts! Has anyone sent theirs directly to Ohlin’s for a re-valve or a rebuild? :o| :o| :o|

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

- Moose

seal head

did you tell bruce to replace the seal head on your shock?i had him do mine and he replaced the head.i havent blown it yet in over 3000 miles.I think it was aroung $90 for the head but dont remember for sure.Shane

Ohlins isn't taking any of the work orders, I would prefer them to do the work rather than another company. I am VERY disappointed in this shock, I thought Ohlins was the industries best! All I have seen I nothing but trouble with this shock! Yamaha or Ohlins should be paying for this, not us. We spend a $1,000 for a shock that only work half the time.

Casey :drink:

If you keep sending your shock in for rebuilds and the shock keeps blowing up on the first ride, it is obvious that you have got a malfunction that is not affected by the rebuild.
Assuming that you are installing the rebuilt shock in the correct way, are they really rebuilding your shock, then...? Are they installing the updated seal head...? Are there maybe scratches on the sealing surfaces of parts that they are not changing...? A scratched piston shaft or a scratched cylinder tube...?
My obvious advice would be to try a different place. Why not one of the places that are recommended by Ohlins themselves, like Carver...?

Also - I have said it before and I will say it again - this shock will likely blow up if you are using the overly soft and extremely overcompensated (=close to zero compression damping created in the main valve) american delivery setting. A very good friend of mine is the scandinavian service and technical manager. According to him they have got close to zero warranty issues with this shock absorber and they are also amazed by the amount of warranty issues in america. The difference is that the scandinavian delivery spec has got close to douple damping, less overcompensation (=much more compression damping created in the main valve) and a stiffer spring. Get the clue...?

Goodwin

Goodwin performance in Zion Il worked out great for me. Quick, fast, helpfull, and cheap. Ask for Kurt. I met him at one of the shows. Has a ton of knowledge. Good luck

hygear is the way to go, i ride hard with it and has not let me down. original set up was no good. 210lbs

mshabaz said:
hygear is the way to go, i ride hard with it and has not let me down. original set up was no good. 210lbs

You are right. Weight is an issue. Not only did I have to revalve all four shocks, I also changed all three springs in the rear (6'00" 230lbs). Hygear, Goodwin whoever; a second opinion would be a smart thing at this point. The only reason I used one over another was price and turn around time. If they are good they will ask for your weight, riding style, and area you ride etc. To make a better evaluation of your shock rebuild situation. Good luck again
:rocks:

The following shock absorber service centers are authorized by Ohlins:

http://www.ohlins.com/ohlinsUSA/Service ... fault.aspx

Not all of them will do snowmobile shocks, but all of them have got qualified technicians that have been trained by Ohlins themselves, they have got access to an enormous shock absorber setting library and they can get information about any possible material updates. If you have got a problem with an Ohlins shock, I see no reason to use a service center that is not on this list...?

To answer your question about sending your shock to Ohlins. I did and and have not had any problems with one complete season of use {knock on wood}. I am not saying that any other place recommended would not do a good job, I just had a fast turn around and a good experience with Ohlins directly. All they did was install a bigger spring for my weight {285# with gear} and recommended no revalve on the 2007 shock. It seems to feel fine for me and rides like a cadillac. Download the pdf on this page, fill it out, send it in and they will contact you with any questions. http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/index.php?o ... &Itemid=60

scherbs said:
To answer your question about sending your shock to Ohlins. I did and and have not had any problems with one complete season of use {knock on wood}. I am not saying that any other place recommended would not do a good job, I just had a fast turn around and a good experience with Ohlins directly. All they did was install a bigger spring for my weight {285# with gear} and recommended no revalve on the 2007 shock. It seems to feel fine for me and rides like a cadillac. Download the pdf on this page, fill it out, send it in and they will contact you with any questions. http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/index.php?o ... &Itemid=60

But, it does not have any info on there page on how to get a hold of them.

Back