• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Skid Shock Length / Aftermarket Shocks

synaptic3e

Extreme
Country
USA
So after searching the forum and consulting the FAQ, I think a new FAQ section is needed. I am currently in a situation where my rear center QS3 is going to be sent out for rebuild. I can't have my sled down, we just got real snow in ME last week! So I am looking at options such as Exit, Artic Cat OEM QS3, Hygear, Elka, Etc. It would be really nice to have a section dedicated to rear skid 129, 137, 146, etc. and the corresponding shock lengths. Also followed by the known good part #s for different shocks that fit each skid. For instance, I understand from my searching that cat part# 2704-635 is a decent option, but eyelet spacers, spring perch and such look to be needed. So if you have a setup that works well, please list you sled track length, your rider weight, spring rate, shock package, eyelet length if you know it, and any other pertainant info.

So after searching the forum and consulting the FAQ, I think a new FAQ section is needed. I am currently in a situation where my rear center QS3 is going to be sent out for rebuild. I can't have my sled down, we just got real snow in ME last week! So I am looking at options such as Exit, Artic Cat OEM QS3, Hygear, Elka, Etc. It would be really nice to have a section dedicated to rear skid 129, 137, 146, etc. and the corresponding shock lengths. Also followed by the known good part #s for different shocks that fit each skid. For instance, I understand from my searching that cat part# 2704-635 is a decent option, but eyelet spacers, spring perch and such look to be needed. So if you have a setup that works well, please list you sled track length, your rider weight, spring rate, shock package, eyelet length if you know it, and any other pertainant info.
Ok, 100 views and nobody has anything!? I'll get it started! Here are the specs of the stock shocks I have on hand... It is my hope we can find good cost effective solutions by doing some digging on the web!

OEM
137" Track: Front shocks are 18.25" eye to eye
Center shock is 12.5" eye to eye
Rear shock is 15" eye to eye

I am currently running: 195lbs with gear & 210/220 with bag on back
All shocks re-valved by Hygear for my weight
Fox Qs3 Fronts
Fox Qs3 Center (with stingray mods spring)
Fox Qs3 Rear
Barn of parts rear torsion spring relocate (I weigh 170lbs in my birthday suit!)
Barn of parts MPS kit
Snow Trackers Semi agressive
Mounted on Curve XS skis

Sled handles awesome, there are some days I wish I had more adjustment, so I may upgrade the Qs3s with DSC adjusters. However I would like to find some other options. Looking at shocks for Harley's, they seem readily available....

You being under 200lbs how are you finding the stingray spring in the studder bumps ?

You being under 200lbs how are you finding the stingray spring in the studder bumps ?
No issue so long as the center shock is working properly. FYI, a buddy that’s 230lbs before gear rode my sled and the center shock gave up!

No issue so long as the center shock is working properly. FYI, a buddy that’s 230lbs before gear rode my sled and the center shock gave up!
I was thinking of trying the 160 spring, I’m basically same weight as you and not sure if the spring would be to stiff going over the studder bumps at high speeds.

I was thinking of trying the 160 spring, I’m basically same weight as you and not sure if the spring would be to stiff going over the studder bumps at high speeds.
I had the 160-lb center shock spring on my 15 Viper LTX. It was better than the stock 135-lb straight rate spring that came on that sled but I didn't care for it that much. It created too much ski lift when a throttling out of corners and would bottom out too easy. The stock 90/250 that I have on the 17 Sidewinder LTX SE that I have now is MUCH better for me. Keeps the skis planted in corners and doesn't bottom out as easy.

By the way, I am about 185-lbs without gear.

John at accelerated technoligies is the suspension guru ,I've watched a bunch of his youtube videos ,you can learn alot about setting sleds. There's one peticular one one mubrats that's very informitive

Snowmobile Suspension Straight talk with ACCELERATED TECHNOLOGIES | Snowmobile Sessions EP40​

John at accelerated technoligies is the suspension guru ,I've watched a bunch of his youtube videos ,you can learn alot about setting sleds. There's one peticular one one mubrats that's very informitive

Snowmobile Suspension Straight talk with ACCELERATED TECHNOLOGIES | Snowmobile Sessions EP40​

Update: So I ended up finding a center shock from Zbroz: Exit2 which has both compression and rebound. Its at a nice price point of $599 and was in stock, did overnight shipping and it was set for my weight. I'll post a pic in a few, my only gripe is that it did not come with an adjustment wrench for the sprig collar. Luckily I have one that works on the shelf... I am going to see with spring is softer, the one I got from Stingray or the one that came on it. I will run which ever one is softer. Note: I could not find any pics or info on the Zebroz website for a fitment for the Yamaha.... I called a dealer to confirm and purchase. I have confirmed the eye-eye with my stock shock, so I know they are the same length.

Here’s a pic

Attachments

• E009A8CA-6489-415D-95D0-52A362149198.jpeg
    E009A8CA-6489-415D-95D0-52A362149198.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 197
Vert curious to hear your report on how this center shock rides/handles!

i have a brand new QS3 with rebound for rear skid shock, used for one 100klm ride and then sled was written off. i took all the new parts from it before ins got their hands on it. shock was $1700.00 shock sell for 700.00 Qashina coated

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 167
soo i just changed my centre shock to the 24 clicker shock from a 2016 zr6000 XC, and added the HyGEAR TWISTED dual springs to it and the the front iQS shocks, originally the factory had 3" sag on front from and on high speed trails with big whoops would bottom easy even setting on firm would be to stiff and jarring, i just installed the twisted set and set to 2" sagg and the middle shock at .250" pre load afer install. OMG what a diff, yes the sled sits a little higher in front but now i have all on soft setting and sled just soaks up the studders and whoops. i just gave HYGEAR my 220LB weight and the sled and they sent a matched set up.... so far soo good

soo i just changed my centre shock to the 24 clicker shock from a 2016 zr6000 XC, and added the HyGEAR TWISTED dual springs to it and the the front iQS shocks, originally the factory had 3" sag on front from and on high speed trails with big whoops would bottom easy even setting on firm would be to stiff and jarring, i just installed the twisted set and set to 2" sagg and the middle shock at .250" pre load afer install. OMG what a diff, yes the sled sits a little higher in front but now i have all on soft setting and sled just soaks up the studders and whoops. i just gave HYGEAR my 220LB weight and the sled and they sent a matched set up.... so far soo good

Is that your weight WITH or WITHOUT gear? I always wondered which number Hygear is looking for when ordering those spring kits.

Back