• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hand warmer stopped working

Allan

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Sr Viper XTX
Hand warmer on left side stopped working, the other one works fine. so it not the switch on fuse.
Any thoughts on where and what to start checking? I was think the element is gone. Have not checked anything yet.

Most likely it is just the element itself. You can check it with an ohmn meter. To test it the readings should be,
Green/Blue wire to Green wire 6.3 to 7.7 ohmns
Green/Black wire to Yellow wire 12.6 to 15.4 ohmns.
When replacing the element, you will need to get a new grip as well since it's easier to just cut the old grip off.
Bill

Looked them up why is there a LH and RH , i guess the arctic cat's will work on viper? Looks up element last night and for Yamaha one it like 70$us price is not listed in ca.

There is a left and right element due to the shape of the element and where the wires are attached. The element has a self adhesive backing on it and fits on the bar a specific direction due to the hook on the end of the bar.
The Cat element should be the same as the Yamaha unit. Not 100% sure on the grip though, it's possible that the Viper and 7000 used different grips for shape/texture reasons.

Most likely it is just the element itself. You can check it with an ohmn meter. To test it the readings should be,
Green/Blue wire to Green wire 6.3 to 7.7 ohmns
Green/Black wire to Yellow wire 12.6 to 15.4 ohmns.
When replacing the element, you will need to get a new grip as well since it's easier to just cut the old grip off

Checked mine. it has 3 wires, Green , Green/white and Green/blue in this order in the picture. this only ohmn reading i'm getting is between green/blue and Green/white of 11.2. what are you thoughts?
hand warmer.jpg

Is it correct to say green is the common wire and it broke?

Took the right side apart to see what the reading were and I get reading from green to green/white and from Green to green/blue. So on the left side the green wire must be broken. was hoping i could fine the brake and repair if it was out side the element but for that I would have to get the grip off.

Yeah, it looks like your on the right track the Yellow is for testing further upstream in the harness.
Green= common or ground
Green/white is low heat with approx 14 ohmns resistance (between Green and Green/White)
Green/Blue is high heat with approx 7 ohmns resistance (between Green and Green/Blue)

Yeah, it looks like your on the right track the Yellow is for testing further upstream in the harness.
Green= common or ground
Green/white is low heat with approx 14 ohmns resistance (between Green and Green/White)
Green/Blue is high heat with approx 7 ohmns resistance (between Green and Green/Blue)
Thanks for help. As it looks I'm going to need a LH element. May try to move grip back enough to check and see if green wire is let go from element . If it is I may be able to make it back on.

Just looked up some aftermarkets . Have any used these RSI heated elements? https://www.kimpex.com/en-ca/produc...ad-8d32-48ad-ba37-11df36f69fc2&keyword=heatedgrips#tabstrip-1?categoryid=0f9af24a-077a-4b4b-ad39-89de934c2fe1&makeid=78cd035d-41fe-4407-b55b-e0a7041eb144&yearid=b9ab6dd7-56ca-478b-b6c7-28b854dd624c&modelid=fcd7aead-8d32-48ad-ba37-11df36f69fc2

I just bought a set of the plug and play ones...had to order from eBay cause Kimpex was sold out...the elements look thicker then stock...I also ordered the cork from Royal to put under the heaters...I’ll be putting them on today.

I just bought a set of the plug and play ones...had to order from eBay cause Kimpex was sold out...the elements look thicker then stock...I also ordered the cork from Royal to put under the heaters...I’ll be putting them on today.
found the plug and play element? Thanks

Last edited:
They work better then stock...

I would test the replacement element before installing to confirm the resistance readings are in spec. Friend of mine had his Yamaha left element replaced with the Cat one by a dealer I recommended he not go to. Left grip was subsequently not getting very warm on high. He went back for them to check it out and the service manager sold him a line of crap about element output being reduced because of the glue melting WTF. Said they'd have to order the right side element to put on so they'd be the same output and wouldn't cover under warranty this time. I checked the readings of the two elements, right side in spec and new element read about half of the spec ohms on both high and low.
He then went to Excell Motorsports and they replaced the left element with the Yamaha part number under warranty and all works fine.

I would test the replacement element before installing to confirm the resistance readings are in spec. Friend of mine had his Yamaha left element replaced with the Cat one by a dealer I recommended he not go to. Left grip was subsequently not getting very warm on high. He went back for them to check it out and the service manager sold him a line of crap about element output being reduced because of the glue melting WTF. Said they'd have to order the right side element to put on so they'd be the same output and wouldn't cover under warranty this time. I checked the readings of the two elements, right side in spec and new element read about half of the spec ohms on both high and low.
He then went to Excell Motorsports and they replaced the left element with the Yamaha part number under warranty and all works fine.
I tested my left element and I got nothing using the common wire. So I tested the rights side the same way and got reading using the common wire with the green/with and green/blue. so as it looks now I have a break on the green common wire. . Ordered new RSI plug and play elements. got 2 elements cheaper than the price of one Yamaha element .

Back