• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handguards w. Mirrors

gitrdun

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
07 Attak
Here is my attempt to come up with a mirror that suits me. I do like the look of the OEM Yamaha handguards so I made a bracket out of a piece of one inch aluminum flatbar(building supply store). I made most bends in the vise over a short piece of bedframe angle iron with a rounded edge, because a sharp corner like vise jaws will cause the aluminum to crack. The bend that goes around the handlebar, I just wrapped around the handle of the vise(pic)( I had to build up the handle slightly with electric tape to get close to 7/8 diameter). The bend(twist) after that( which changes the direction of the flatbar), I put a piece of pipe through the handlebar hole and locked it in the vise between two small pieces of wood and gave it a quarter turn with a crescent wrench with electric tape on the jaws(pic). Once all my bends are done, I center my plastic handguard and mark my two bolt holes. I drill those two holes, and drill the hole in the end for the mirror, and then drill the one hole on top of the bracket at the handlebar end(when I clamp the handlebar end almost tight over the handlebar, then I can drill my second hole and push the bolt through). Once the four out of five holes are drilled, then if I want to color match, I can get the appropriate size shrink tube(40mm flat measurement for 1" flatbar) slide it on and heat up with a heat gun. Black shrink tube was available from a local electrical supply store, blue appears to be available but may take 3 weeks to get here. The only 3" mirrors that I was able to find with a ball joint for adjustment and a short threaded stem for mounting, was also a 3 week shipping item.
As I was putting this together, I realized that a portion of this flatbar bracket could be used to add a mirror to an existing oem Yamaha handguard bracket(pic), or if I just preferred a set of handguards without mirrors, I could get away with 3/4" aluminum flatbar brackets. All fairly inexpensive.

Attachments

• DSC03722.jpg
    DSC03722.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC03707.jpg
    DSC03707.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC03710.jpg
    DSC03710.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC03700.jpg
    DSC03700.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC03706.jpg
    DSC03706.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC03735.jpg
    DSC03735.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:

Nice work.
I found using some heat on aluminum flat bar from a building supply store helps to keep the stress on the aluminum down while bending.

Hey thanks. If this inspires any ideas, that's a good thing! The bolt in the back of the mirror is off center, so you could rotate it to be more in line with the edge of the handguard. There is always room for a little tweaking for a little different look.
If anyone is interested and has trouble finding the parts, or wants the template for this particular application, just contact me, no problem.

Will this setup work with the foam covers for the handguards?? I really like what you made. Also any interest in selling a pair already made?

I am not sure exactly which foam covers you have, but I suspect anything can be modified to work. Just remember that these brackets were bent to fit the plastic OEM Yamaha handguards. Chances are that if you have a different make, the bending will have to be slightly different. I unfortunately do not have any extra sets, and the shipping in Canada would almost cost as much as all the parts combined. I would go and buy a 1 in. X 48 in. aluminum flat bar with 1/8 in. thick for 9 dollars, or 96 in. for 12 dollars at your local building supply and bend it to fit your application. I can send you the diagram (top left picture in my first post) that I copied off the one I made if it helps. But it is specifically for the OEM Yamaha. If you could use it, contact me and send me an address and I'll mail it.

I have the oem Yamaha Nytro handguards. I have the blue foam covers that go over those. I did some more searching and found guys installing the powermadd sentinel foldable mirrors on the oem handguards so I may go that route. I appreciate you offering up what you have. If I don't go the powermadd mirror kit way I will send you a message.

Back