• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handlebars and ski's don't line up after roll over

Jeffz

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro RTX 40th
2007 Phazer "RTX"
So I let my dad take my 07 out for a spin today and he rolled it. It landed on top of him and bruised some ribs and his ego, but he'll be fine. When he rode back to where I was, the bars and riser were not straight but the skis were. To get by, we held the ski's while twisting the bars to straighten it back. I tore the all the plastic and the airbox out to see if there was anything broken/worn/bent, but there is so many different linkages for the steering in these sleds, that I have no idea what it could have been twisted. I was a little weary about riding it, as I was worried something might break, but I put about 30 hard miles on after it happened and its holding. The bars are still a little off, but not that bad. If anyone has any idea what could have twisted let me know. I don't want something to break while going around a corner or something. Also, when I had the airbox out, I noticed that the idle adjustment screw was just hanging there. Is there a hole or anything where its supposed to be attached? Thanks!

it just hangs down - should be accesible thru the steering linkage boots.

when you rolled it you probably tweeked a bracket and that's the difference - i hit a stump with my 07 and bent the bumper and the steering was off from that point on - when i parted it out i never saw anything that was broken or bent - just the geometry

So, just twist it back straight and not worry about it? Or should I look into it a little further? I'd like to get through the season, and when I change oil next year, I can see if anything is bent.

Its probley in the steering block (steering collom) item 5 in stearing. It is in the sterring block and conects the the risser. If you mean its just bent down or sidways you can been it back or replace it, the part is $115. If it just not lined up you can start messing with the tie rods or move the sterring knuckel (under the aitboox) a few teth, get it were you want it.

woolyviper said:
it just hangs down - should be accesible thru the steering linkage boots.
This is not right. There is a clip at the back of the front subframe where it sits. the idle adjustment screw is accessible through a hole in the front cowling which is covered by a rubber plug.

Thanks guys. I was looking for a hole where the screw could mount, but couldn't find anything. I'll have another look tomorrow.

Jeffz said:
Thanks guys. I was looking for a hole where the screw could mount, but couldn't find anything. I'll have another look tomorrow.

Its a possabliity it broke off, mine is. When I hit the fire hyrfent it moved the airboxx and pull the intake from the enigne, thus pulling on the idle adjustment cable and broke the mount.

If you were closer to me, I would help but it looks like your 2 hours out.

Jeffz said:

I'll take a shot you you and post it up.

Access hole from the front: right side looking at it just behind upper A arm:

Looking down and toward the front from same side. Its the little u shaped tab just in front of the oil filter. In the 2nd pic its left of the left spindle nut.

Jeffz said:
So, just twist it back straight and not worry about it? Or should I look into it a little further? I'd like to get through the season, and when I change oil next year, I can see if anything is bent.

ive had the toe set and have set the toe on my sled about 5 times in 2000 miles, if you land hard, roll, hit something or wear out parts then you should set the toe. it should be pretty for you to adjust it the steering is fairly weak on the sleds and things bend easy thus requiring alignment pretty often

Yes.Is easier to just adjust it at the ends on spindle rather than try getting at inner one.Just make sure you arent going out more than a turn or two to be sure there is enough threads left in rod.

Thanks everyone. I took it out for a little ride yesterday. Before I left I noticed that my taillight lens is also missing. (thanks again Dad!) Anyways, everything seems to be working just fine.

Attachments

• Phazer1.jpg
    Phazer1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 71

Back