• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HARD Steering

Nytroman

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 FX Nytro
I am looking for some help with a steering issue I am having with my 08 Nytro. This is not the normal stiff steering that every Nytro has, I can handle that. What I have going on is nearly impossible steering, even in the powder I can almost not turn the bars. I know there is no ice in the steering boots, so that isn’t it. I haven’t started tearing the front end down yet, but I am curious if anyone else has had this kind of issue.

What could be causing this? Steering linkage? Ball joints?

Any chance you have ice built up somewhere or something inside limiting movement???

Sometimes my spindles hold snow, and on water crossings (ditches, low areas etc), snow melts gets slushy and refreezes. Having full range of steering is encumbered until you can crush it out......

MS

I thought that ice may have been the issue at first, but I thawed it out and it is just as bad. Really scratching my head here. I haven't hit anything and there is nothing bent out of shape that I can see, exterior wise. I haven’t looked under hood yet, so the problem could very well be around the linkage.

Just a thought, my friend stores his spare belt under the front cowl in the nose - loosley I might add. Something like that could easily wiggle around, get in the way and disrupt ease of steering. Just a thought....

I would pull all the panels off and see exactly what is going on. if its that bad it should stand out like a sore thumb.

When you find out, post it. would like to know what went on.

Good luck
MS

I have my spare belt mounted on my belt cover, so I know that isn’t it.

I plan on tearing it down one night this week. I will definitely post my findings.

Raise the front end of the sled in the air so the skis are hanging freely. Then turn the handlebars to see if there is still stiffness. You might only need to lube the bushings...better yet, upgrade to OFT bushings...even better get the OFT relocator in the process.

There is most definitely stiffness without the skis on the ground. I noticed that when cat walking, it was still stiff.

I will have to make sure I check the bushings. I can see the billet bushings being a big improvement, but what is the benefit of the steering relocator?

it raises the steering post forward, substantial improvement on steering, read some of the older posts on here regarding its benefits

Grimm said:
Raise the front end of the sled in the air so the skis are hanging freely. Then turn the handlebars to see if there is still stiffness. You might only need to lube the bushings...better yet, upgrade to OFT bushings...even better get the OFT relocator in the process.
X2 awesome upgrade! Gets rid of the crappy plastic bushings....

Grimm said:

Sometimes you can get the stock plastic bushings to feel alot better just by loosening the nuts and re-align and re-tighten the 2 nuts on top and the 2 nuts at the bottom. But the OFT stuff is definately the way to go.

[/quote]X2 awesome upgrade! Gets rid of the crappy plastic bushings....[/quote]

X3. You will wonder how you ever rode the sled before.

I have never rolled it before, so I don't think that I could have bent anything. (Although I have heard that one before)

So from the sounds of it I should just order the relocation kit no matter what. I am all for improving the handling on my sled, but I do have a riser on. Will the relocation kit affect the length my cable will reach?

Lube the upper and lower ball joints and the tie rod ends. I used to do that every couple hundred miles when I rode a nytro. Spray grease or even 80w90 works, anything is better than dry. Just had the same issue on my brothers nytro, and the greased parts cured the problem.

Back