• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

has anyone tryed ....

viperyder

Extreme
met a guy this weekend on a newer ski-doo,mxz ,and he was raving about these SLP Straight Line Tracking skis,said they were awesome and he wouldnt buy any other kind for trail.has anyone tryed them?,and arent the new ski-don'ts equiped with pilot skis? i thought these were excellent equivalents...
you should of heard this guy,he was absolutely ranting about the difference...
just curious,i tryed a search but nothing....
thanks, gary~

and hey mached (dan) ever try em??? :4STroke:

I keep saying this, but it has yet to properly sink in. Skidog "pilot" skis are a marketing gimmick. They are NOT good skis. At first they STOLE the design of Simmons skis, marketed them as "Precision" (a badly screwed up version that was too shallow, narrow, and stiff), got taken to court and issued a court order to stop making them, and now to save face, rather than going back to a "normal" ski, the have started using some weird junk. This is because if they went back to a normal ski, more people would ask WHY, IF PRECISION WAS SO GOOD, then they would find out about how doo steals every design they ever used.

Like above, have not tried on Apex, but they were the best improvement I made for '02 and '05 Poos. The flexibility of the ski takes up a lot of the shock rather than thru the bars. I do shim the rear of the spindle similar to Bergstrom for a slight ski up tilt when off the ground.

Stock APEX skis

I run the stock APEX skis with a healthy shim under the rear ski leg rubber and have zero darting with the Stud Boy Deuce bars. I don't doubt that some aftermarket skis offer better performance in special conditions like deep powder ect, but the stock ski can work well when shimmed with the deuce runners. Lot's of hype from aftermarket ski manufacturers about how poor the stock skis are.

I hated my Apex until I installed the 13 mm sway bar, lowered it, set the toe and attended to the ski leg shimming. Now I love the way it handles.

ok jersey,you got me interested in a big way... please explain. what you did exactly and where you got the things you did,and what kind of riding do you do,as i do mostly trail,with an occational rip on a lake.last weekend was a hard pack we rode on
please explain more ,thanks im trying to understand..
gary~

VIPERYDER

I AM NO EXPERT, BUT I HAVE READ A LOT OF POSTS FROM GUYS HAVING DARTING PROBLEMS. TO BE HONEST MY APEX GT DARTED SO BAD I HATED IT. MY SRX WAS 10 X BETTER. LAST YEAR I WENT TO QUEBEC FOR A WEEK AND I FOUGHT THIS THING EVERY DAY JUST TO KEEP IT ON THE TRAIL. I TELL YOU THIS WAS BORDERLINE UNSAFE TO RIDE. HERE IS WHAT I DID:

#1 BUY A 13 MM SWAY BAR FROM PIONEER PERFORMANCE. $96.00

#2 BUY A SET OF STUDBOY DEUCE BARS. $100.00

#3 INSTALL A SHIM UNDER THE REAR OF THE SKI STOPPER. I USED AN OLD SRX LIMITER STRAP. TWO PIECES ON TOP OF EACH OTHER.

#4 LOWER THE FRONT SPRINGS UNTIL YOU HAVE 2 INCHES FROM THE ADJUSTMENT COLLAR TO THE UPPER FIXED ALUMINUM LOCK NUT.

#5 TIGHTEN THE LIMITER STRAP ONE HOLE

#6 SET THE TOE OUT FOR EXACTLY 3/8INCH

THE DIFFERENCE IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ME LOVE THIS SLED. NO MORE ROLLING IN THE CORNERS AND IT DOES NOT DART.

THERE MAY BE OTHER WAYS TO DO IT, BUT THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME.

iasledder where do you see an ugly kit on that webpage. i see each item you say but i am interested if there is an actual kit i can buy

ok i got everything you said ,except the shimming ,what does that do??? and how did you get them straps to stay? glu em? im trying to get some info on that,i hear alot about it ,any pics and explaination?
thanks alot ,heading to maine next week ,love to try this.
are your a arms flat with the ground like dan and others mentioned?
thank you ,gary

LazyBastard said:
I keep saying this, but it has yet to properly sink in. Skidog "pilot" skis are a marketing gimmick. They are NOT good skis. At first they STOLE the design of Simmons skis, marketed them as "Precision" (a badly screwed up version that was too shallow, narrow, and stiff), got taken to court and issued a court order to stop making them, and now to save face, rather than going back to a "normal" ski, the have started using some weird junk. This is because if they went back to a normal ski, more people would ask WHY, IF PRECISION WAS SO GOOD, then they would find out about how doo steals every design they ever used.

LazyBastard here you go again, giving advice on something you haven’t even tried before. I think were going to have to pull you head out of the snow again. I for one can give the Pilots an accurate evaluation since I have used the stock skis and I now own the Pilots 5.7". The stockers in stock form darted so bad they were dangerous in some cases. After shimming they were better but I was still not happy with their performance. The Pilots however cured the darting and improved the cornering and I would highly recommend them, besides they are one of the less expensive skis choices available. The only week performance area is deep snow riding, which I’m not too concerned about because I’m not off trail very often. If I was I would get the 6.9" Pilot Summit skis which are wider and offer more flotation. Maybe shimming and adding ski savers will improve the stock ski performance to your liking but if it doesn’t the Pilots are a very good choice.

Back