• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hauck roller secondary mod

iahacker

VIP Member
Has anyone tried the Hauck roller secondary mod on an Apex?
I'm considering trying it to eliminate the belt chirp that happens when getting on the brakes hard then back on the gas and the tell tale belt rubs on the under side of the belt guard.
Looking for experienced feedback.

The Apex button secondaries work very well when well maintained and properly tuned especially if you are looking for all out drag racing performance.
Having said that, I have a Hauck roller kit on my Attak and it has worked very well for trail riding and all around performance.
I always liked the design of the Hauck roller kit as once you machine the clutch and install the kit, the roller ring, pins, and rollers all become an integral part of the clutch, very much like the Sidewinder roller secondary.
My Attak picked up a couple mph all out top speed on the GPS swapping back and forth between a conventional button secondary and the roller on the same day same trail.
If you do buy and install the kit I recommend you pick up extra rollers as they do wear. I occasionally rotate the rollers by hand so the helix runs on a different part of the roller to spread out the wear area and extend roller life.

Hope this helps

brother, sappling_killer, is the hardest man on secondarys i have ever seen. he has trashed at least 5 button secondarys by breaking the towers off. he has even trashed a roller as it had a bushing walk out but they are the only ones that stand up to his style of riding on rx/apex sleds.

If you're locking the track up coming in to a corner and getting back on the throttle instantly you're asking the clutch to do something mechanically impossible. The driven clutch needs to turn in order to back shift so ultimately the primary opened up and you're driven is stuck in 3rd gear. When you get back on the throttle it's like dumping the clutch out in your car in 3rd gear when you're not moving. Roller clutch wont fix that.

If you're locking the track up coming in to a corner and getting back on the throttle instantly you're asking the clutch to do something mechanically impossible. The driven clutch needs to turn in order to back shift so ultimately the primary opened up and you're driven is stuck in 3rd gear. When you get back on the throttle it's like dumping the clutch out in your car in 3rd gear when you're not moving. Roller clutch wont fix that.

i do not know what he is doing but the roller clutch takes whatever he is doing. i have seen him break off all 3 button towers on a secondary.

Towers break from the cam losing contact with the buttons and then being slammed back together. I just had this same situation with a friends sidewinder. After he understood what was happening he now pulses the break to let the clutch keep turning and belt chirp is gone.

scary part is he gets better belt life than i do and i pretty much only use the engine braking. 18000 mi and still over 1/2 the pads left for me on the 11.

Thanks for the input guys. I rarely lock up the brakes and normally only to avoid something. I'm mainly interested in the durability and if the roller kit makes any noticeable difference.

Never tried the Hauck setup, but years ago on my 700sx and a friends sled also, we converted them to roller using the Cat roller plate. It actually fits right on, the three holes line up and the bushing size is correct also. Just have to machine the button holders off the one sheave, tap the holes for to bolt on the Cat helix. Also need slightly longer studs with about 1/2 spacers under them.

Thanks for the input guys. I rarely lock up the brakes and normally only to avoid something. I'm mainly interested in the durability and if the roller kit makes any noticeable difference.

i have rebuilt the one used by my brother once. he seems to get 4-5 seasons before i have to change the rollers and bushings.

Back