• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Header wrapped/heat control

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
Been putting lot of attention in heat control for this season. I found riding hard with a header she would get HOT. Especially on mild days.

I completed the wrap on the header and going to do the muffler core also since I have 50ft of wrap left.
20211020_114051.jpg

I found that the wrap (not necessarily the blanket - haven't tried that) doesn't last more than 3-400 miles before it disintegrates. I tried several different brands none better than others.

BTW, I tried several (...3) versions of the hurricane header and they all run too close to the tank for my comfort. I elected to have a header guy completely modify the header and now have plenty of clearance. I have 2k into that dam header!

The header definitely improves throttle response and most importantly lowers boost for equivalent power about 2lbs. Helps with lower quality gas found in the UP (91)

Did you find the extra clearance header to be an issue as well?
No 0 issues with the header with extra clearance..
Just found in the cab to be hotter then I like when riding in mild weather.
The oem shield cracked at the 2 mounting bolts so it needed to be replaced anyway.

I found that the wrap (not necessarily the blanket - haven't tried that) doesn't last more than 3-400 miles before it disintegrates. I tried several different brands none better than others.

BTW, I tried several (...3) versions of the hurricane header and they all run too close to the tank for my comfort. I elected to have a header guy completely modify the header and now have plenty of clearance. I have 2k into that dam header!

The header definitely improves throttle response and most importantly lowers boost for equivalent power about 2lbs. Helps with lower quality gas found in the UP (91)
Giving dei titanium wrap a shot!
I ran over 2k with the header with added clearance. There is plenty of room . Distance to gas tank is a non issue with mine.

i was going to do the same to mine as i got the blankets for turbo and feed pipe and then wrap header... was informed that alot of headers were cracking when heat is retained by the wrap.

Looks nice Yamamarc now your gonna make me spend more money lol.

I have the same header with no issues as well have lots of clearance.

Been putting lot of attention in heat control for this season. I found riding hard with a header she would get HOT. Especially on mild days.

I completed the wrap on the header and going to do the muffler core also since I have 50ft of wrap left.
View attachment 163152
Nice job! And needed, warm day slower trail riding way to much heat I found.

Giving dei titanium wrap a shot!
I ran over 2k with the header with added clearance. There is plenty of room . Distance to gas tank is a non issue with mine.

I tried the DEI titanium wrap on a NA 1200 Doo header and it would just fall apart, It also was not as good at holding the heat in. I found the regular old fiberglass header wrap to transfer less heat and NOT disintegrate.

I ran out of the DEI lava wrap, so I finished with the old fiberglass. If you ran the sled for a minute you could not touch the DEI without burning your hand, the fiberglass wrap you could hold your hand right on it for long periods. Pretty telling test, and the DEI lava wrap fell right apart after some miles the fiberglass was still like the day I put it on. I won't use anything but the tried and true old fiberglass header wrap anymore. I don't know why they even make that lava wrap crap after seeing that stuff fail so quick and bad like that.

I tried the DEI titanium wrap on a NA 1200 Doo header and it would just fall apart, It also was not as good at holding the heat in. I found the regular old fiberglass header wrap to transfer less heat and NOT disintegrate.

I ran out of the DEI lava wrap, so I finished with the old fiberglass. If you ran the sled for a minute you could not touch the DEI without burning your hand, the fiberglass wrap you could hold your hand right on it for long periods. Pretty telling test, and the DEI lava wrap fell right apart after some miles the fiberglass was still like the day I put it on. I won't use anything but the tried and true old fiberglass header wrap anymore. I don't know why they even make that lava wrap crap after seeing that stuff fail so quick and bad like that.
Well hopefully I can get a season out of it ..lol
I took the suggestion from the vendor I bought the blanket to add wrap with the header blanket.

Well hopefully I can get a season out of it ..lol
I took the suggestion from the vendor I bought the blanket to add wrap with the header blanket.
you may get the season out of it but my experience on my 998 is as Knapp says the DEI wrap does not hold up. The header works great, but for my type of trail riding (slower and prefer warmer days) I found way to much heat with header. On cooler days at a good pace with air movement no problem.

Has anyone tried the coatings like swain or from Mark with fireball and his XMC coating

Back