• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmets

glred

Veteran
I'm looking for a new helmet and need one that I can wear glasses under and they wont fog......what are you guys running??

The only way to go is the Ski Doo Modular. I don't know about there new wierd looking fold down style, but the modular works great. I would stay away from the copies. Doo had a patent on the breathing vents. The others cause your breath vapor to drop down the front of your coat while the doo style has it coming out the sides of your helmet and it gets lost in the wind.

A couple of years ago a group of us got stuck on a saddle bag trip way north and it was -50 to-60. The guys with Doo modulars and the cold weather mask were fine. Us with out were plastering our faces with duct tape to keep from freezing our skin. I had a Yamaha wedge and ended up with frostbite let allone I could not see with my glasses frosting.

The one guy that had a modular without the cold weather mask bought a mask and the rest of bought modulars. We shipped our old stuff home.

No more problems for the rest of the trip.

I have the doo modular also.... but i have a broken breather.. does anyone know where I can buy just that piece or get doo to give me a replacement.. it seems like a bad design the way my tab broke

I believe you can buy just the tabs from the ski doo site. I have broken a tab in the past and picked up some extra ones from a dealer.

I have owned them all and prefer the old fashion HJC with electric shield. My Doo Mod still fogged and the dealer told me to get an electric shield for it. You can imagine what I told him after what I had already paid for that (DOT only approved) piece of....................
For the record, my current HJC is the lightest most comfortable helmet I have ever owned.

The people I know who spent the $$$ on the modular weren't happy...apparently there is no heated shield available for them? I don't know if this has changed, but these guys weren't happy. Dealer told them a heated shield isn't necessary because of the design, then they all had problems with freezing on the outside of the shield. Have you had any icing of the shield? I haven't tried one, so I don't know who to believe, but I sure would like a heated shield!

Jim

very happy with my hjc cl12 havent needed an electric shield since i got it.to tight for glasses though.the only thing its missing is a variable tinting shield :shock:

I have the Yamaha (made by Lazer) modular and I'm very happy with it. Its kind of annoyingto have a gklacier form on the front of my jacket while I ride, from the frozen breath coming out the bottom, but at least it works very well. I actually pulled the plastic inner piece out of the face mask because for some reason the ice was clogging that up, but after trying it without the plastic, I haven't had a problem since. One just like mine just sold on ebay for under $60.00. I think I paid over $200 when I bought mine...but I was on a trip and my crappy Cat heated shield on my old helmet just wouldn't work. After missing a corner on the trail because I couldn't see, the next day I dropped the $$$ for the new helmet and heated shield.

Jim

glred, mine is the cl12 like snappy's but I do have the heated shield. It keeps my nose warm too! The really big advantage to a heated shield is those times you get that freezing mist that leaves a layer of frozen Ice like it did on my Modular. Then I couldn't see anything............My shield works so good I was able to remove the nose piece inside the helmet. I bet glasses would fit.

i have the old Modular from Ski-doo, it was great on days above 15 but otherwise frosted up, I went thru 2 heated shields with it and neither worked. I just bought the new HJC.

So do they make heated shields for the new Doo modulars? According to the dealer, no, because they are supposed to not be needed...

Jim

Back