• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

QS3 Aft shock rub

If you take the perspective that the skid should travel that far then yes, grinding keeps travel the same. If you take the position that the suspension should stop before that hit happens, then the bumpstop should be the point at which the suspension stops. I would argue that the entire point of the bumpstop is to stop this from happening. Raising the bumpstop would be the right answer. BUT....

Looking at this a bit closer, I think this is shock specific. I just had a look at my 21 and there is no way it is unlikely it could hit. I can't say 'no way' because there is probably always a way.

The IQS shocks have the reservoir bracket at an angle away from the eye where the shock attaches, not perpendicular to the shock body like the QS3.

QS3, reservoir bracket extends perpendicular from shock body

dd221078-22eb-4d10-a73c-7ba48293c1ba-png.147663

IQS, you can see how the angle of the reservoir creates clearance.

View attachment 170366

Also, the eyelet itself sticks out further

View attachment 170367
Thats whats needed for a proper fix without losing travel. The IQS eyelet could be used on any of the QS3 shocks. I am going to see if I can get my hands on some if the body and shaft will work with it. I know the qs3 adjuster will work in IQS. Very helpful Earthling. Thank You!

Do you think it could be related to transfer block removal? My 2020 has no issues and I blew the crap out of my bottoming bumpers the first year until I revalved the shock and replaced them. I kept my transfer blocks in place. Just might change the geometry that little bit.
Just checked and mine hit and its a 2022 grrrr.

It might of been when my DSC shock was setup way to low when I was playing with it. That or when my big\tall friends tried my sled. (My torsion is set at 1). Cause I rarely bottom.

Just checked and mine hit and its a 2022 grrrr.

It might of been when my DSC shock was setup way to low when I was playing with it. That or when my big\tall friends tried my sled. (My torsion is set at 1). Cause I rarely bottom.

What shocks do you have?

I feel like this should go on the master list

I feel like this should go on the master list
I would be more comfortable knowing if grinding the shaft for clearance is enough and whether the fix doesnt lead to failure of the shaft. Its also possible although not to standards that the new bodies are machined differently and the small hit the shock will get without grinding is acceptable with a new body. I believe since Yamaha and Cat are aware of the issue they have determined its not a Safety issue. Personally I think it will become one eventually if one were to break off but it hasnt happened yet that I am aware of.

Here is the fix!
Look at the new angle on the shock end!
Cat knows they have an issue here and superceded the original part number and this is the new one!
3704-252 is the new part number for the 137" models 2014-2023 years.

87556.jpeg

I have parts ordered to do conversions. So far its showing available but its both the eyelet and the body. Not sure whats different on the body. Will find out when I get them. Kind of a sad situation really. Few old ones fail but parts hitting shock is just not right! At least now we can Identify which are the Culprits and which are Good.

This make sense. Although I have a 2022 skid I got my QS3 chock from an older Viper. I couldn't find a new QS3-R or just QS3 due to backorder last year.

I have more bad news about this. Even the older QS3R's are now cracking. So it is not a thread issue. If the witness mark is there on either shock with the straight eyelet you are on borrowed time. I would say for this season be darn sure your bumpstops are fresh and grind where it hits. Reports say that even grinding will not always prevent it. They really messed this one up. Sad situation.
AE99839B-6227-4CD2-8794-98791E2031CE.jpeg
996EC5AB-540D-42B6-B2ED-4F1281EE6085.jpeg

I have more bad news about this. Even the older QS3R's are now cracking. So it is not a thread issue. If the witness mark is there on either shock with the straight eyelet you are on borrowed time. I would say for this season be darn sure your bumpstops are fresh and grind where it hits. Reports say that even grinding will not always prevent it. They really messed this one up. Sad situation.View attachment 171248View attachment 171249
Does changing to the 45 degree (is this the new design?) solve the problem?

Back