• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heres My RTX W/ Painted Panels as promised

I'll post some better pics soon. I'm in the middle of cleaning it up after trailering it recently. (filthy!) I just got done with the studs, and will post better pics as soon as its done.
I painted every plastic piece on the sled including re-painting the hood and tank pieces. I did leave the front bumper unpainted, just because I knew I'd be grabbing it while moving the sled around and it would take more work to maintain.
All my riding buddies were giving me a bunch of crap when I frst pulled it out of the shop, saying that I'd never ride a "show" sled through the weeds, and nasty stuff that is so common around here. Well after blasting through switch grass, cat-tails, fields full of tiny saplings and ducking under branches, they were amazed how durable the paint is, and that there are still no scratches!
I used a House of Kolor clear, that has an incredible depth and shine, and yet is extremely durable and easy to clean and polish.
I have the color chart book(s) for House of Kolor, and I could definately help come up with some crazy wicked colors!!!!
Nate

Fantastic job!

How's the paint hold up to light flexing of the plastic. I never painted hoods because the aftermarket paint doesn't flex as well as factory paint. Are there additives available to get that flexible, durable finish.

Great idea!

Snowman269 said:
Fantastic job!

How's the paint hold up to light flexing of the plastic. I never painted hoods because the aftermarket paint doesn't flex as well as factory paint. Are there additives available to get that flexible, durable finish.

Great idea!

Yes it does. With the correct flex additive (one that crosslinks with the product, and stays in there for the life of the product) you can fold it over and crease it with you finger nail. Some paint companys aren't using that technology yet. I have a piece of bumper cover I made years ago that I carry in my trunk, that's been driven over and jumped on by the biggest doubters in my territory. Just don't get the paint film too thick. You loose flexibility the more you put on.

Not trying to start any crap, but I'd never put 4 coats of clear on a flexible part. You just don't need it. 2 nice coats is plenty. I'll never forget the first thing my instructor said almost twenty years ago in auto body school.

The saying "if a little is good, alot is better" doesn't apply to anything in the refinish business.

Damn sure is sharp...... I can paint but dont know if I want to tackle something like this.

Nate whats the going rate?

Ok, I'm in, what's the going rate for the summer project?

The only reason I use as many coats as I do is because I spend a ton of time polishing the paint when it's done. It usually winds up taking off about 2 coats worth of material anyway. I don't use an expensive spray booth, but I can yield a finish that wil rival anything.
I have put about 250 hard trail miles on mine, through tall weeds and everything Iowa's trails can dish out, and I have yet to scratch it. The house of Kolor paint that I use is a very flexible and is very durable. I have sprayed many different brands over the years, and I always have like this paint the best. In fact, the paint does not even require clear coating, I just do it to add depth and more durability since it will be screaming through ditches and weeds! I would rather polish light scratches out of clear coat that color coat.

I have responded to a few pm's so far about summer projects, and if you're interested, send me a pm. Everybody wants something different so its hard to quote too many prices without knowing what you are looking for. I have told a couple guys that if youare only looking to have the big side panels done, a local shop would be cheaper. If you want the entire sled done (like mine), I can do it cheaper than most any shop, plus I will do all the tear down adn re-assembly, just bring me your sled!
Nate

wow very nice i hate to copy anyone but my dad has a body shop and guess what im going to do this summer thanks for posting pics i have a red 06 attack hope it turns out as nice

Gilly :yam:

Back