• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID ballast mounting positions

humdngr

So i just made the switch from an 07 attak to a new 2011 nytro rtx. I've already put 100km on it an can say i'm very pleased i made the switch. First thing is first though... HIDS!

I have a brand new kit laying around (8000k, bi-xenon hi/low, slim digital ballasts) that i picked up for my attak but since i knew i was getting rid of it i decided to wait and put them in whatever new sled i got.. well since i got the nytro home i had the hood and headlight housing opened up and want to hear opinions on where everyone has mounted the ballasts on their nytros?

I would really prefer to make it look clean and simple with zip ties/hose clamps/2way tape, and want to avoid drilling holes since the sled is brand new.

Any advice and pictures are much appreciated :Rockon:

Here is how I mounted my ballast. The aluminum plate is held on with 2 small stainless bolts and the ballast is held onto the aluminum with industrial Velcro. Everything else is tucked out of the way and zip tied behind the head light to the existing wired. I unplug the headlight wire and remove the power lead and two grounds and it all comes off with the headlight mount.

Attachments

• 20140105_021302.jpg
    20140105_021302.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20140108_213600.jpg
    20140108_213600.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 125
Cheap alternative if you don't have a means to fab something yourself. Stainless receptacle plates. I originally had this mounted on my airbox with a rivet in each receptacle to keep it snug. I never like metal on metal so I put a small piece of foam under each ballast, also keep them really snug.

Oogv0Ndl.jpg

That's thinking outside the box. Just about anything can be reworked into working for a mounting tab. Mine was just a scrap piece of 18 gauge aluminum. A little flimsy so I put a half inch cut on both sides and gave it a bend in a vise . That bend stiffened it up pretty good.

I mounted mine using the rubber band that holds the regulator down, I also wrapped a zip tie around everything in case, there were minimal options on the nytro

A couple of hose clamps and aluminum plates. 4 years riding with this setup and no problems.

I used Velcro and put mine on the side or the black plastic rad duct (or whatever it's called)

I don't know if you have rode with them yet but 8000k is bright but isn't as much usable light as a 4300 or 5000. At least for me but everyone's eyes are different.

Back