• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID kit installed

10-4!!!! Haha. I'll probably install them tomorrow. Thanks for your help!!!! I'd be interested to also hear what anyone else has to say about running the shields on or off. Guess I'll leave them on for now.

Great thread, like so many here... looks like DDM is the way to go, I am leaning towards 55w (more light is better theory).

I could not find any specifics to placing an order on the DDM site using their language they use so any suggestions on which kit, they now have three: the "Ultra HID Kit" or the "DDM Plus HID Kit" or the "DDM HID Kit"? I noticed the cheapest DDM HID Kit is 4300k vs. 4500k (not sure it matters). If this lasts multiple seasons and has replacement parts and a lifetime warranty thinking the "Ultra HID Kit" as specified below for $135.88. Do we need the "Premium Dual Relay" and I assume we don't need the "Error Eliminator" or "Adapter Cables".

BASE KIT:
$79.95: Ultra HID Kit - 35w 55w
$59.95: DDM Plus HID Kit - 35w 55w
$34.95: DDM HID Kit - 35w 55w (4300k)

OPTIONS:
$10.00: 55w Bulb
$20.00: H4 Hi/Low Beam Bulb
$0.00: 4500k color (4300k for the DDM HID Kit)
$19.95: Premium Dual Relay: Dual In/Dual Out
$2.99: 55w Ballast Mounting Bracket (only shows up in the motorcycle kits as an option)
- Assume we don't need the Error Eliminator or Adapter Cables

Ultra HID Kit Information

Ultra HID Kit.jpg Ultra HID Kit - Details.jpg

DDM Plus HID Kit Information
DDM Plus HID Kit.jpg DDM Plus HID Kit - Details.jpg

DDM HID Kit Information

DDM HID Kit.jpg DDM HID Kit - Details.jpg

I installed the last kit last year. High low kit and 35w. Very bright and I'm loving it. Should be almost $60. $35 plus the high low. 4300k seems to be the one to use. Apex takes the H4 bulbs. I did have to add on to the ground wires but that's pretty much it. Without the patch cables you just need to run power to the battery. Was not real hard. Hardest thing was figuring out hiding all the wires under the gauge pod.

Last edited:
Thanks, so you went with the base DDM HID Kit plus the H4 Hi/Low bulb. I'll have to check now what the Nytro uses for a bulb. What is the "premium dual relay" anyways, each bulb has its own? I will call DDM tomorrow to gather more info. Seems like HID is a no-brainer

Mine is the DDM HID kit 4300. Have had for several seasons. The brightness shocks people with other HID kits on their Apexes. Never one problem. Lost a bulb on a bag trip and put stock H4s in. Found out when I got home my battery was weak. Put it all back with new battery and as good as new.

Thanks, so H4 also in the Nytro. I'm considering the 55w only as more light is better IMO and if the Lo beam goes way low, when i meet anyone on the trail I can go Lo and not blind them. Did you guys consider the 55w?

Actionjack do you have LEDs on the mirrors and down below the headlight as well? I was wondering about LED's for the area just in front of the sled if the HIDs tend to go high and far. Thinking about an LED light bar under the front bumper.

Didn't really think about the 55w too much. Seemed everyone was going 35w. At some point it's too bright for oncoming traffic. Im happy with my decision. As it is when I ride behind my buddies at night they say they can't see their own headlight cause mine completely washes it out.

Thanks, so you went with the base DDM HID Kit plus the H4 Hi/Low bulb. I'll have to check now what the Nytro uses for a bulb. What is the "premium dual relay" anyways, each bulb has its own? I will call DDM tomorrow to gather more info. Seems like HID is a no-brainer
I would.have gone with the PLUS kit at a minimum. The PLUS and ULTRA ballasts are more dependable in the cold. Sometime a BASE ballast won't fire until it gets warmed up from the engine heat. The Dual relay is exactly that it has two relays in the harness kit. If one of the relays fails then the other will then kick in. I have them (dual) on all three of my automobiles but both of my sleds only have the regular single relay kit. Good luck in your quest with trying to talk with Ddm. The people in their West Coast stores are pretty much clueless when it comes to snowmobiles. Also a word to the wise, DDM installation instructions leave a lot to be desired. But, I have them on 5 vehicles in my house and they work extremely well. 55 watt, 5000k on all 5 vehicles including fog lights.

4strokeluvr111 thanks, so makes sense to go with the DDM Plus or Ultra HID to get the better ballasts, skip the dual relay as you did, leaning towards the 55w, do you feel like you blind oncoming traffic with your? Below is Grizz's wiring diagram from page one of this thread, appears DDM supplies everything needed to plug into our harness and now supplies ballast mounts... so looking like this:

BASE KIT:
$79.95: Ultra HID Kit - 35w 55w
$10.00: 55w Bulb
$20.00: H4 Hi/Low Beam Bulb
$0.00: 4500k color (or 5000k?)
$5.98: (2) 55w Ballast Mounting Bracket
$115.93 Total (or $95.93 if I go just with the DDM Plus Kit)

DDM HID Wiring Sketch.jpg

I haven't had any issues with the standard 35 watt HID kit since I installed it 6-7 years ago. I did have to replace a bulb last season but that to be expected. The Ultra 55w kit may be better but for snowmobile use the cheaper kits seem to work just fine and also has a lifetime warranty. I don't see a big improvement in using the 55 watt ballast so I stick with the 35 watt to free up power to run other electrical devices.

I also still prefer the HID's over LED due to the HID's providing better overall coverage without light scattering.

Your real life seven year experience is fantastic. Have you compared the 35w to the 55w on the snow? Our stock bulbs show 60/55w I think in the users manual spec so gives us room for other accessories as you note, maybe an electric shield, GPS, LEDs, etc. What is the total accessory load we have to work with about the stock bulbs, is that published anywhere? Might help to decide which way to go, leaning back towards 35w if we are limited in wattage...

Back