• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Highest Speeds on Sidewinder/Thundercat

Years ago, I had a 2013 F1100 Turbo with pipe and helix change. Dealer did a recall and updated the gearing. After that, it ran 128 mph speedo on groomed trail. That was pretty good back then for a stock machine.
My sled has 21/38's for gears and about 300HP. It should go faster on a good surface. My speed was measured on the GPS. I was in about six inches of snow that day on a hard pack surface. Most guys I know that do big top end have less studs and make speed runs on ice surfaces. I am more of a drag race guy. I leave on yellow, get to about 115 - 118mph, and throw my hands up in victory. A chase is a race. LOL

Just put 5 studs per bar on my brand new Tcat. I plan to leave the stock gears in it, clutch it, hook it hard and leave on yellow. LOL.

Maybe I will set up my 1100 for speed runs on the ice. Time will tell. Got all summer to think about it.

I've seen 126-127 multiple times, 128 this winter in hard pack snow on the lake, to be honest I'm not looking at the gauges too much at that speed!!

TD PT tune, SQ 2.5, Dalton clutching, 1 1/4" track 144 studs...

those that have run both a 1' track and 1 1/4" track on the same sled what type of difference have you seen?

those that have run both a 1' track and 1 1/4" track on the same sled what type of difference have you seen?
The factory SRX 1 inch Ripsaw is 7 +/- mph faster than 1.25 Ripsaw 2.

Northern WI river flowage trail (about 18 miles) on hard pack close to trail stakes, seen 133-135 a few times on speedo. No hard recording instruments. I'll use my new Dragy early next winter. 1.81 gearing on 315HP tune. 1.25 Ripsaw II with 192 ea. 1.62" Lake Racer studs mounted on double StudBoy Prolite backers.
I think it's out of gear as RPM starts to climb and my marked clutches have all lines gone.

Northern WI river flowage trail (about 18 miles) on hard pack close to trail stakes, seen 133-135 a few times on speedo. No hard recording instruments. I'll use my new Dragy early next winter. 1.81 gearing on 315HP tune. 1.25 Ripsaw II with 192 ea. 1.62" Lake Racer studs mounted on double StudBoy Prolite backers.
I think it's out of gear as RPM starts to climb and my marked clutches have all lines gone.

TF,
I agree.......with that gear ratio, and as evidenced by the cleansing of the sheaves, you are at full shift.

Those are stellar speeds on a 1.25 studded Ripsaw. Thanks for chiming in and sharing.....it's always a pleasure to read posts from a seasoned Tuning Wizard!!

Last edited:
I think it's out of gear as RPM starts to climb and my marked clutches have all lines
You’ll be real fast and faster on ice with that setup!

Thank you Flecer for taking the lead on this thread.it is one of my all time favorites.I know it was mostly last year but now that I have a monster SRX of my own I look forward to seeing how much I can bend the needle. After all it’s what county boys do

Funny thing about these 998s, I ,like a lot of other riders, have not held my SW wide F'n open long enough to find the absolute max speed!
My goodness after decades of modifying sleds for more and max performance have I actually reached the enough power/performance mark...say its not so!
:)

Funny thing about these 998s, I ,like a lot of other riders, have not held my SW wide F'n open long enough to find the absolute max speed!
My goodness after decades of modifying sleds for more and max performance have I actually reached the enough power/performance mark...say its not so!
:)
The thing with the 998 is you can cruise at 90-100 with 1/3 throttle. To me thats amazing. I would like to get up to the 105-110 range at 1/3 throttle but uncertain of my gear on the tcat.

The thing with the 998 is you can cruise at 90-100 with 1/3 throttle. To me thats amazing. I would like to get up to the 105-110 range at 1/3 throttle but uncertain of my gear on the tcat.
With 24/50 gears you are nearly at peak speeds at 110mph (~115 peak).

Back