• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Holy crap! Nytro set up 2008 to 2014 mono shock.

Superman

TY 4 Stroke Master
Website
www.lakeffectsnow.com
I made a couple more adjustments on My RTX and took it up to Houghton Wednesday night. My suspension is set. Oh! and all that stuff I said about the Mono-shock being better in the stutters? Well it probably still is but I've narrowed the Gap a ton.

Here's My RTX set up
- Limiter strap is in the stock holes.
- Front arm spring was loosened completely and then preloaded 1 turn and locked.
- Rear torsion springs are on firm.
- Both Rebound adjusters I slowed down 6 clicks each. (If you take them to their slowest setting and come back 5 clicks is another way of doing it if you've made adjustments all ready.)
- Compression adjustment I softened 3 clicks on each shock. (compression I think is a personal choice. I believe the rebound adjustor had the most impact on My set up.)
- Floats are set with the gauge right between 60 and 65.

For the record I'm 300+ with all My gear on. Even rode my buddies Dragon 700 that I have always thought is a great bump machine and I think my FX Nytro is better. He did too!

Now what I still need to adjust.
- For the most part I like My ski set up. But somtimes the handling still seems a little twitchy. At night when the trails set up firmer I liked the handling the most. I'm going to be putting 4" tripple points on instead of the 6" and see what the effects are.
- On really twisty trails like the Freda Loop I stuggled to find a rythem until I moved My body aggresively to the inside of the corner. My head would have to be outside the handgaurds looking down at the inside ski.

So the handling still has Me scratching My head a bit but I'm getting better at it all the time. Just thought I would share My settings. Good Luck.
:Rockon:

Thanks for the great info! I haven't ridden mine enough to see what I like. (175 miles)
I really lie how it rides now, and I've taken care of th eratcheting issue, and looking for the next step in perfecting it. This will help a ton. I'm at least #240 with gear, and I haven't turned a wrench on it yet, other than track tension, and oh yeah, I set the Floats at 60.

how do you adjust the rebound. mine seems to be stuck. I tried all your other adjustments but i am getting killed on the studder bumps.

srxtim26076 said:
how do you adjust the rebound. mine seems to be stuck. I tried all your other adjustments but i am getting killed on the studder bumps.

What sled do you have? As far as rear skid go for the FX Nytro only on the RTX has a knob on the end of the shaft towards the eye of the shock. It's is difficult to adjust when packed with ice and snow. Both rear shocks are simular on the RTX reguarding this. Looking at in the pic when turning the knob to the left (clock wise) will slow down how fast the shock extends AFTER being compressed. Turning it to the right will increase the speed at which the shock extends. (somewhere in the middle is a happy spot for most! Others will need a shock rebuild and that is what was being done here)

only clear pic I could find of the rear rear shock
11-07059.jpg

08NitroRTX said:
It's is difficult to adjust when packed with ice and snow.

Brother your not kidding. I had to pull out the mechanics gloves in a warm garage because of how rough the dial is on the rebound. Not a easy adjustment to get to. A real bitch if the skid is filled with snow. Compression is the only adjustment I should have to make from now on. I think?

srxtim26076 said:

Try working it both ways. Mine were both sticky at first but once I broke it loose the clicks got easier. Please post back if you try it. I'd like to know if It works for anyone else.

***One last thing this is not just for the stutters. My sled tackled everything I wanted. We rode a ungroomed section of trail Twin Lakes to Tapiola (the Donken Tapiola rd. maybe?) and in a mixture of bumps I could get as aggressive as I wanted.***

Superman,

You sound to be of the same stature as me. After 190 km of rough riding yesterday I'm ready to sell my RTX it was that bad.

I want to try your settings. Could you verify that your compression and rebound settings quoted above are clicks counted in the CCW direction starting with them turned all the way in the CW direction?

And are you really running that little preload in the front spring?

Attachments

• '05 Nytro.jpg
    '05 Nytro.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 359
Superman, you and I real close with adjustments, but I am a little lighter than you, and have the compression on the front center shock at 5 clicks softer from stock, and the spring about 1/2 inch of threads showing with the rear springs on medium. I like your way of the compression softer yet, and the center shock spring softer, and the torsion springs set high. This would give you better stutter ability, but yet take on the larger bumps without bottoming.

Going to try that.

Thanks,

I have the RTX, For me I want the sled as soft as possible. Is there a problem putting it at the minimum?

I have a 2003 rev sport and we have been riding side by side for the last few days. We have been switching to compare. I love the power and riding position of the Nytro but these stutter bumps are making it un-ridable for any long periods of time.

Although my rev has constant problems, I can wait to get back on it when there are stutter bumps. At this point I dont even care about ski lift or ski pressure. I just need it a lot softer.

YES!! min rebound is one full turn plus 4 clicks clockwise from full open. Your manual tells you this!!! (I think they say 20 clicks from full open or counter-clock wise) And IF I remember right 16 clicks per revelution, but I may have my shocks mixed up...

It's days like this I forget some details without my cheat sheets!
11-07068.jpg

you know i bought a used attak and i weight 300 lbs suited and the thing flat out rides and handles great. a little twitchy on the trails but that could be setup with the slydogs i have on it. lol thanks superman

bagadonitz said:
Superman,

You sound to be of the same stature as me. After 190 km of rough riding yesterday I'm ready to sell my RTX it was that bad.

I want to try your settings. Could you verify that your compression and rebound settings quoted above are clicks counted in the CCW direction starting with them turned all the way in the CW direction?

And are you really running that little preload in the front spring?

The front spring----With the sled just sitting on My shop floor I loosened the jam nut and then turned the spring until the adjustor nut and spring were in a free state. Then I brought the nut up to the spring and when it had pressure I gave it about 1 full turn of preload.

Rebound adjustment----If you were to look straight down the shock from the Rebound end of the shock you go righty tighty CW to slow down or minimize rebound. If your looking up into the suspension this adjustment is CCW. I know that I went 6 clicks on each shock slower. On the front shock (because it was easier to get to) I confirmed how many clicks I had left remaining in that direction and 5 was that number. ** I hope I'm explaining this clear.**

Compression--- 3 clicks CCW.

I will try to thaw out My sled take some pics and go thru and confirm exact positions and settings.

Ok so from looking down at both of them, if there was no seat and tunnel ( ;-) ), if you started with them turned all the way CW, you let them out 5 clicks counter clockwise.

I'm going to duplicate your settings and go test it today.

Yesterday, I had one click more on rebound and 3 clicks less compression. My preload however was on the other end of the spectrum.

Wish me luck.

Well 60 km over the same garbage shutter/mogul route as yesterday with these new settings.

I can't comment that this was any better. I think my issue yesterday was I was wearing an overloaded back pack, my first time ever doing so on any sled. I think my utter agony was partially due to this.

One thing I will say, was I was riding harder today, with less compression damping, with virtially no preload and I very rarely bottomed. Yesterday, full stiff on preload and compression damping and it was like riding a plank. I can't believe it is possible that I wasn't bottoming. I'm pushing 300 without gear you see.

I am still one set of holes up on the front of the skid and I'll keep that cause it changed the front end for me. Rear strap is untouched.

Anyways, I learned if nothign else that I can't ride with a backpack. And I don't want to sell the thing as much today as I did yesterday ;-)

OK now im confused. The manual says clockwise on the rebound is hard rebound damping force.

I turned mine 6 clicks counter clockwise this morning and didnt see any difference.

08NitroRTX said:
It's days like this I forget some details without my cheat sheets!
11-07068.jpg

Any chance you could tell me what the extended and collapsed length of the front track shocks of the rtx and the air shock off of the polaris race sled?

Hoping they might be pretty close.

Nice set of shocks btw.

Thanks

Back