• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hot Rubber Smell From Sleds

BombaPolaYama said:
MCApex44 said:
This is the problem that I see many people overlook and defend Yamaha when they shouldn't. Yamacat spent $19,000 on a couple of new sleds...$19,000!!!! If you/me spend that much on a sled you wouldnt expect to deal with these issues. Here on the forum there is post after post after post reporting the same problems. Some say "to fix it" spend $50 here or $100 there...IMO that is unacceptable when we are dishing out $10,000 on a sled. quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with this and what Yamacat stated. Why can't Yamaha just make something that will be relatively trouble free for at least a couple of years. It seems like more and more guys on here are saying that they are disappointed as first time Yamaha owners. Join the group! And, I hope yamaha wakes up and starts to listen to their customers and fixes some problems.

I'm with you both on this. I will be going to Lake Geneva in a few days to see what else is out there. This will be the first time in a long time I will actually be looking at the other 3 manufactures MUCH closer. I am NOT brand loyal. I had fantastic luck with my first 3 Yamahas. This RX was also a decent sled but there were issues I did not feel I had to deal with. Broke my rails 3 times before they would put the 06 rails on it, ripped out the RA cable 4 times..and as I type it's broke again, iced up speedo lense every time I would go out (replaced lens twice under warranty before I just gave up) exhaust doughnuts and poor valving and rear spring on the Mono shock.
Now that I can't find a home for my 05 for a fair dollar, I am parting it out since it's worth more that way. I was going to go smoke up a leftover 07 Apex but after doing some heavy reading in the last few weeks to catch up on them...I'm not liking what I see. I'll ride my good ol' SRX for another season if I have too. I will not spend 10K for a sled that STILL has 3 year old issues...nor will I buy a first year anything...so if the 09's are all new...or they have not addressed the old issues if the sled has remained unchanged....then I'm riding my SRX next year.
I think all 4 have issues, but it's the manufacturer that addresses them that counts.

yes there are. I can't remember the name of them, but I remember someone posting them here. Do a search on Ebay or Google. You'll find them...

I understand what you are saying, but... I have an Attak with 3,600 miles. Hifax first changed after 2,000. The ONLY time I have had the rubber/plastic smell is in marginal (hard packed) snow conditions.

My overheat indicator has only come on one time. We were riding a freshly groomed trail first thing in the AM that no one had been on. It was -12 below 0; again hard packed and NO loose snow. As long as I hit the fresh snow every so often overheat light went off and stayed off. My nephew right behind me had no problems cause he was following my tracks~and picking up some loose snow.

IMHO, most who are complaining about poor hifax wear, overheating issues and plastic/rubber smell - they're all related to snow conditions. It isn't that difficult to get off the trail and into some fresh snow now and then and still keep up with the pack...

when i bought my sled, the owner kicked some snow on the wheels and hifax.... i had never seen this before ( its my second sled, 2 yamahas ) and i asked why he was doing that. he told me he always did it before he rides this way it " lubricates" the track parts... everytime i dont do it, there comes the rubber smell ! I'm am ordering scratchers right now !

Last edited:
install oversize idlers and put duponts on,this will do it!!

install oversize idlers and put duponts on,this will do it!!

So... the idler are the big ones in the back of the track right?!... Do you know how many inch wide they have to be? I think the old owner told me i have a longer track and he added wheels i think. I' ll check the measure of the idlers i have.

So... the idler are the big ones in the back of the track right?!... Do you know how many inch wide they have to be? I think the old owner told me i have a longer track and he added wheels i think. I' ll check the measure of the idlers i have.
The idler wheels are the smaller ones, factory size is 130mm, you can get the 135mm replacement wheels from Kimpex, I run these with the dupont slides and scratchers for back up, no burning rubber smell or plastic burning smell in low or hard pack conditions.

The idler wheels are the smaller ones, factory size is 130mm, you can get the 135mm replacement wheels from Kimpex, I run these with the dupont slides and scratchers for back up, no burning rubber smell or plastic burning smell in low or hard pack conditions.
thx will chek what i have

I have been running Dupont slides for 6k miles now on my XTX, they still look good. Just remember when the trail is frozen in the morning, drop the scratchers and you are good to go.

I bought the xcel brand idlers from.barn of parts..they are for.the smaller ones in the skid

Back