• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hot start problem contines..

RX-1snow

Extreme
Has anyone solved this mystery yet?? I tried pinching off the coolant line to the carbs with vise grips ,mimicking shut off valve, and still had to use throttle to start, it did seem a little better or was I just hoping it was..anyway I spoke to the yami tech guy who rode the RX-1 all last year and he never experienced it. He said the problem was due to the fuel expansion in the carb as it heats up from the engine and coolant. He said it leaks into the intake, creating a rich condition that is corrected by cracking the throttle and letting in more air.

My problem only occurs after sitting hot for 5-10 minutes. To me this is annoying and should be correctable ...any ideas. PS Tried idling up to 1800rpm...did not help

I think the fix is simple, just crack the throttle. I also think the Yammi rep is full of it. I have the same problem with my RX-1. I also had this problem with my 98 and 02 SRX and my wifes SXR 500. With the electric start it's no big deal.

Okay/ here we go again/ this is a Yamaha trait/ I moved the ignition on the other side of the dash so that I crank the engine with the left hand and crack the throttle with the right/ I put a power point where the ignition was/ I've got at least 8 friends that I ride with on a regular basis , that have Yamaha's and EVERY one of them HAS to crack the throttle when they are warm/ this applys to the two strokes and four strokes alike/ You cannot get rid of this trait/ move the ignition switch and you'll forget the problem exist/ later/jim-bob

Yep, it's a Yamaha thing. Every one I've ever rode with, tuned on, looked at, all needed this.

If anything, get the motor to idle as low as you can, as it will pull less fuel in through the mid range circuits this way. By raising the idle, you get too much fuel, even without problems. Every motor is different, but I bet if you set the idle to the low side of spec, it will behave. Crack isn't always just for breakfast anyway, hehe.

That was my only complaint with my warrior is the key switch should have been on the left.Jim-bob do you have any pics of yours on the left.

Warm the motor up, check and adjust the carb sync. Make sure the pilots are adjusted correctly, per the service manual. Set the idle to about 1600, instead of 1350 rpm. Problem should be gone.

Jim-Bob,
Where did you purchase the 12 volt out-let, looks great, where can I get one?

Later........ :wink:

I got it from a local store that has a little bit of everything/ I saw them in Wal-Mart for the first time yesterday/ I would think most automotive stores would carry them. You'll have to ask for a hot point that"s designed to go in the bed of a pickup ( this comes with heavy long wires) and the cover is spring loaded to keep out the crap and it will not pop open while your going down the trail/ If you decide to install one and want some pointers for redrilling the key hole larger to accomadate the power point I'll be glad to tell you how I did it without scratching the surface/ later

Back