• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How Cold is Vector

kobalt

I was wondering if the Vector is as warm as a 2-stroke to drive. The 2-strokes are very warm on the feet as alot of heat seems to be directed back from the exhaust and engine. Can you get a good warm windshield for the Vector? Does the Vector start well in cold weather? Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kobalt

I have noticed my feet not staying as warm as my 2-stroke but not too bad and mostly on the r/s.

You can mount a 2X tall windsheild on it if you need more protection and I find a little less heat on your feet ...........BEST hand warmers in the biz though ;)!

I ride an '01 Polaris 600 XC EDGE X and I the Vector that I rode had better wind protection than my XC does.
Also, the handwarmers are much better on the Vector. My XC only has 4 settings for the hand/thumb warmers (Off, Low, Medium and High). The Vector's hand and thumbwarmers are almost infinitely adjustable. Im not 100% certain, but I believe the display has 10 different levels of adjustment.
Im not entirely crazy about having the thumbwarmer adjuster on the right side of the handlebar. You have to either stop or or take your left hand off the bars to adjust it. However, I usually have the thumbwarmer on either High or Off, so its not like its that big of a deal.
Hebi

I find that the footwells are not as warm, especially the right side. There is a definite difference that I immediately notice when me and my buddy swap between his Viper and my Vector.

The stock windshield works great for me. I'm 6'-1" My buddy is shorter than I am and claims that the defelected wind path is right on his helmet which make his head bobble. I guess you can't expect a manufacturer to design a one-size-fits-all windshield... This problem is not unique to the 4-strokes, though.

Finally, the handwarmers are simply the best! The 4-stroke has a huge magneto to generate enough electrical power to burn your hands right off the sled. The 10-step adjuster really work well, too.

I have now logged ~7500 km's on my Vector.

I ride with the same gear (suit, helmet, gloves, etc) as I wore riding my Viper.

I haven't really noticed a difference in the comfort level with the exception of the handwarmers, they are better on the Vector.

If you are comparing to a VMax then it's not quite as warm but not terrible. You get a little more air around the upper body. I am going to try a Cobra windshield next year. If you are comparing to a Rev it's way warmer. Hand and thumb warmers are great.

starting in cold weather depends on how cold it is. the coldest ive started mine in is -4 and i had to leave the choke on for longer than normal and it took it about 15 minutes to get to where the cold temp light goes out.

On the r/s of my Rage in the footwell area I took and put some pipe insulating tape under the hood I blocked off an area with the tape where it cant be seen because thru the hood vent I noticed that cold air come right thru and down to my r. foot with nothing to block it like on the left side the belt guard blocks alot of wind from reaching my foot.. doing the tape on the r/s down in front of the footwell really help stop the windflow from hitting my boot on those long cross country rides. ;)!

I have to wear one more layer of clothes on the Vector vs. the 14 Poo's I've had when the temp is <10F. I had the taller Venture w/shield put on and really didn't notice much difference vs. stock. My head also wobbles like another poster said, and I'm 6' tall.

Two things I notice in particular is the "top" of my arms my arms getting cold from the wind going around the windshield, and my upper back getting cold. The wind must swirl around behind you because sometimes when I accelerate I can distinctly smell the exhaust.

I'm waiting for the "Touring Flairs" or whatever they're called to come in (been on backorder since I bought the sled 3 weeks ago). This will block the wind that comes from underneaeth the w/shield flare and the hood from hitting my legs.

My right foot get a little colder but it's not a big deal. No exhaust down there to warm the foot, and that's OK!! ;)! I like the posters ideaof blocking the area.

I had the block warmer installed and this past weekend I kept her plugged in at night and she starter ight up...no problemo!!! The light went off very quickly, and I could take the choke off almost right away. Money well spent!!!

The handwarmers are great!!! Thumbwarmer a little cumbersome to adjust on the fly but not a big deal either!!!

After a friend and I traded sleds for awhile, his first remark was "That's a warm ride". I didn't have a whole lot of comments, as i was just happy to get off the Polaris. My feet never get cold on any sled so I can't answer that part.

Thanks to everyone for your great input. I really appreciate it. I just came from my Yamaha dealer. I am considering trading in my 04 Polaris for a Vector. Great board with lots of great input.

Thank You,

Kobalt

kobalt said:
Thanks to everyone for your great input. I really appreciate it. I just came from my Yamaha dealer. I am considering trading in my 04 Polaris for a Vector. Great board with lots of great input.

Thank You,

Kobalt

Oops...hopefully I didn't offend you with the Polaris coment. Truth is the 4 stroke is SO much different than the other sleds, I have a hard time readjusting to any brand 2 stroke in temporary situations. His Pro X was just extra harsh as it is an ex-racer. Re-valving didn't help it much. Mighty rough on the ol' kidneys.

Back