• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How do i lighten up RX without using big $

Hello all
I´m extending my 04 RX Warrior to 159 and was thinking of shedding some weight to get it lighter. What can I do with out spending big $ to get it lighter?

Thanks

Ernie

I´ve seen that post and thought it is a bit pricey. Is there any things I can remove from the sled to get it lighter WITHOUT SPENDING BIG MONEY?

thanks

Ernie

Some of those things are $10 per pound. I seriously doubt you are going to find any noticeable reduction at cheaper than that.

MSRX-ERNIE said:
I´ve seen that post and thought it is a bit pricey. Is there any things I can remove from the sled to get it lighter WITHOUT SPENDING BIG MONEY?

thanks

Ernie

HUH??

Us mountain riders consider $100 a pound the going rate in most sleds once you lighten up the main things, hood, seat, exhaust, etc.... After those few things it gets pricey. The items above are great bang for the buck.

I didn't read the link but these are the things that quicks come to mind for me.

1. Transfer enhancement kit $50 (lose 5 lbs)
2. Remove steel battery holder and mount a nice lightweight battery down between the A arm mounts ($80)
3. Remove a set or two of idler wheels if you ride in good snow (free)
4.Go to carb filters (save the weight of the airbox and sounds cool) Find a set in the classifieds for $150

That should get you started.

Good Luck!

Frosty

Ernie - you saw the post about my warrior. Get rid of the stock exhaust and use kachess's idea. If you pull your stock exhaust, you won't believe how heavy that piece is (and you definitely won't want to put it back on the sled!!)

MSRX-ERNIE said:

thanks

Ernie

You might try the half tank mod! LMAO

Seriously though most of these suggestions are as inexpensive as you're likely to get.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Edge where do I get an exhaust like yours and how much is the price for it, if I may ask.

AaronBND, no offence to you, but I still think that it is quite expensive to do all the mods that you´ve done to your sled. I´m sure it will be difficult for me to do it cheaper. If I had the spare coin I would do the same to my sled. And I just love that airbox mod you have made! Did it affect the sound in any way?

Thanks

Ernie

Ernie - the glass pack is a flo-pro (part no. 3012). Take a look at kachess's posts. He has some good pictures and explanations.
I gave the local muffler shop the dimensions and layout I needed. They cut the stock exhaust at the X and then welded it to the glasspack and added a turndown, per my dimensions. For the rear mounting, I used a bracket similar to Kachess's. Then you'll have to make the tunnel close out, seat support and some drop brackets (for clearance).
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=35138

glasspack and welding of pipe $80
drop brackets $17
tunnel close out - scrap SS sheet
seat support bracket - made from tunnel guards

Gutting your stock exhaust takes about an hour, maybe a little more and takes off about 15lbs. Free to do with a welder, sawzall, and some time.

An M7 153" suspension is 400 dollars and will remove about 30lbs.

thats 400 dollars plus shipping for 45lbs gone

SoCoRX1, how is the sound level on the guttet exhaust compared to stock?

I would love to get an M7 suspension, but they are a bit difficult to get here in Greenland. If I have to buy one in USA I also have to pay for the shipment from USA to Greenland.

But I love the idea of a lightweight suspension and exhaust.

thanks

Ernie

SoCoRX1 is talking about the gutted exhaust on my sled. It sounds pretty mean, the Yoshimura is way deeper, but the weight savings is awesome on the gutted exhaust and the tone is way better.

spray your whole sled with PAM .. to keep the snow from sticking.. This should keep 40-50lbs of weight off of your sled..LMAO

Back