• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many of the original 03 RX-1M guys are still out there?

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
There was quite a group of us that took a chance on the new Yamaha fourstroke back in the Fall of 2002. Frankly, the sled didn't turn out to be quite what we were hoping it would be in the mountains but, that's really where the fun started.

As a fairly tight knit group, we basically took a huge and overweight sled and re-made it into a very viable mountain sled. The hours spent morphing these bulletproof machines has left a lasting mark on me. I honestly loved every minute of it and I am very proud of what we did with this sled. I very much enjoyed sharing ideas on what worked and what did not.

My sled is still with me but, has been replaced as my primary ride by a newer model. I hate to get rid of it because I have so much time and energy into the sled, that it almost feels like and old friend. RX-1s aren't bringing much money these days and it's sad to see how many of them have been parted out because they are worth more in pieces than as a complete sled.

I can make the argument that, with all the work I've done to my sled I kind of feel like a guy with a restored car that has done a complete frame off restoration and I really am not interested in parting with the sled for emotional reasons.

On the other hand, does it make sense to let the sled sit while I ride the newer one and only ride it once or twice a year? I could sell it for between $3,000-$4,000 and put the money into something else. Hopefully, if I did sell it, I could sell it to a friend and get to see it once in a while and help him understand and appreciate all the work that has been done to make the sled what it is today.

I'm curious, what have you guys done with you sleds, and why?

Frosty I still got my 2003 - I am not half done with moding it - still love it :jump:

Here is some history pics:

First upgrade MPI tunnel ext, new seat and riser

IMG_4242.jpg

Sencond upgrade 162" apex skid

IMG_4069.jpg

Third upgrade Bender/Mpi stage 2 turbo kit and Wildchild rideforward kit

P3310025.jpg

P3310024.jpg

P3310029.jpg

Fourth upgrade new MCX turbo kit, new risers and guauge setup, shocks etc.

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

Fith upgrade apex plastic conversion, boss seat and Piaa lights etc. (almost done)

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

Sixth upgrade building my own VE tunnel - not done:

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

Hi Frosty,

I am new to the RX I picked up an 03 shorty to make my UP booning sled.
I have had alot of fun modding this sled. I really like the old carbed engine

You can see what I have done by the link in my sig.

For this year its going to get a new rear skid. Some gauges to follow the engine, and Getting rid of more steel brackets for alum. stuff.

Keep the old girl. they are a blast

I will be interested in seeing the responses; I wonder if there are options other than accepting a painfully low selling price.

I like the boat that I am in. I have not seen anything out there that interests me that would be as fun and reliable as my minus-80-pound RX without spending a god-awful amount of money.

It is a nice feeling to like what I have better than the factory options that I see out there, that has never happened with any of my other toys.

Still riding my 03 RX-1 bought it in 05.
First mod Wildchild and MPI drop-down bracket
100_0504Medium.jpg

ZX-2 skid/ apex seat/ MPI tunnel extension
DSC_0199.jpg

Tow hitch
DSC_0084Large.jpg

I will do the under tunnel exhaust before this winter, I burnt a backpack last year. Thinking of going to a 159 track but need to find the time to do it before the snow flies. I plan on riding my sled into the ground, burns some oil but it's done that since I bought it.

Still love my 04mtn. Wouldn't trade it for anything.Finaly got it set up the way i like it, just need my new mountain mod seat,and tank cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 191
That looks SWEEEEEEEEEET madsledder.

She is going rock this year with the upgrades you have done (front mount and M-10)

Got mine in nov '02.Still love it .Half the fun was changing everything on it to get it the way I wanted it.I'm just getting around to the apex seat this season-can't wait!

Still have mine. I will be riding it in two weeks at the grass drags that our club puts on every year, Ken.

Hello from the new guy on the block. As you will find out, i listen alot and don't say much. Better to listen and gain knowledge, than talk and act smart. Anyways, i just bought an 03 shorty with a pipe set up and has had clutch work. It has 684 miles and i can't wait to add to that. My last sled was an 02 800 Pantera so you can see why i'm excited. As for Frostbites statement about keeping it or getting rid of it, look at it this way. If you had a 32 Ford coupe, AC Cobra, or anything like that, that you only drove once in awhile, it would be the same thing. Keep it, ride it on those special, sunny days.

Back