• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How often to charge battery?

zipclean

Expert
How often do you guys feel you have to charge your snowmobile battery?I had a sled with electric start years ago and only charged it once a year if that.Does the 06's not charge while they are running?I would hate to go to my remote cabin @ -35 and find out a sled with no recoil won't start because the battery is dead.Is this an issue? Just thinking out loud as my Attak still isn't in yet and getting a little cold feet on afew issues(weight,no pull rope,cold hands????) Just nevous coming off of 15 years of CAT.

I'm no guru when it comes to mechanics of a snow machine.... But I would have to think there is some sort of charging system ... I know a few guys with RX-1's and starting in cold weather was never a problem, plus with the EFI on the 06's you should be smooth sailing...

It has a charging system just like a car. The first thing I did when I brought my GT home was put the battery on a Battery Tender. It was not at full charge and by morning was fully charged. I think most dealerships just do the minumun charge during the PDI. Good idea to hook up a Battery Tender during the summer so your good to go next winter.

I put in a request to Santa for a Battery Tender and plan on attaching the adapter to the battery premantly so I can plug it in periodically. I would think after a days ride it should be at full charged. Especially a new battery there should be any problem, but after a couple years then watching the charge maybe more critical. Also mentioned was EFI will make a difference. I've had a few EFI cats in the past and they would fire up in the coldest of Weather like -35F with no problem.

I've thought about getting one of those solar panel chargers for the battery and hooking it up during the week when I don't ride. Apparently they provide a very low charge (2.5 watts) without overcharging the battery.

Does anyone else here use a similar product like this?

Its a fact, the best place to store a Battery is in a warm place because the cold will draw it down! :exc:

Is it OK to leave a Battery out in a cold environment with a Battery Tender connected? 8)

I only charge my sleds, ATV and garden tractor once or twice in the off season, but they have been used enough that they require very little charge[ 2 amps. only for small batteries]. The batteries on my two 02 sleds seem as strong as new. I start my sleds every 2 weeks in the off season, with not a minutes trouble when time to ride.
A battery place [National Battery] told me all batteries should be used[vehicle operated or charged] once a month , if not a battery that makes it 2 years is doing good.
Using this thery I have had[ almost to good to be true] excellent sucess .
BATTERIES
Sleds- fall of 02 to now and still good
Quads- 87 to 97 , was still going when sold.
- 97 to 03, was still going
-03 to now , still going
Garden tractor, blower - says 96 on battery and it still started at -5 F or -20 C on monday.
Works for me.
Talk to a battery place your selves and get the 1st hand info.

Back