• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How to negotiate a good deal from a dealership??

wantsnow

Extreme
Hey guys, I am thinking I might take the plunge and buy my first BRAND NEW sled. I am looking at a leftover 09 XTX. The dealers I have talked to seem firm on their prices. I was wondering if there is room to negociate on prices or am I better to ask him to throw in some accessories? I have always bought used in the past so I am not used to paying asking prices. Please give some advice on how to score the best deal from a dealership! Thanks!

I would be just firm and say thats too high, and tell them to call you when they get to ($xx) price. Give them a price that is lower than what you want, but don't insult them. I find they respond well when you are firm and don't give. Every sales person is different though.

Shop around and even get a quote or two. if you find a good deal, go to your dealer and present them with your quote and ask them to match it and you will do buisness with them. It worked when I was truck shopping.

First, are you going to finance or do you have the cash? It will make quite a bit of difference, IMO. If so, I'll give you my routine.

Cash ;)! Ok, have you ever bought sleds, even used, from a local dealer? Do you deal mostly with one dealer for parts, sleds, service? Do they know you? If so, I would use the approach of them wanting to keep your business. Especially if it's local to you. Anyway, shop around and find a good price and make an offer to your local or preferred dealer (it needs to be reasonable). They need to know you will be buying a sled that day though (either there or somewhere else). As stated by usafracer, pretty much make a take it or leave it offer, but be tactful. If they won't do it, just remind them that you would like to remain doing business with them but not at the expense of paying them more for something you can get somewhere else for that price. If they still say no, just leave. Go to a competing dealership and tell them the story of how you were a loyal customer of XXXX dealership and can't believe the lack of loyalty ........yada..yada..yada..... Chances are they will do the deal, and gain a customer who appreciates loyalty. Local dealerships like local customers, they are the ones who routinely utilize overpriced services and pay for marked up OEM and aftermarket parts.

No scientific data to support this, but it seems to work for me, for both sleds and autos.

By the way, if you really want to push the envelope and are actually doing a full on negotiation to get to an agreeable price, then after you get to a price you like, tell them "if that's as low as you can go I'll take it but now we need to talk about some accessories". And get a few more goodies (cover, different windshield, 10% off the purchase of any gear that day, whatever....) It works, as least it does for me. And don't be afraid to remind them that the best type of advertising is "word of mouth", again, especially for local dealers.

FWIW, good luck.

Or, for a small fee, and a round trip airline ticket, I will perform this service for you :jump:

money talks!!! have the cash in hand and tell them you will give them XXX amount of dollards today for the sled. Like stated before, it has to be a reasonable price, chances are they will take it. cash is hard to turn down

HRD2PLZ said:
Cash ;)! Ok, have you ever bought sleds, even used, from a local dealer? Do you deal mostly with one dealer for parts, sleds, service? Do they know you? If so, I would use the approach of them wanting to keep your business. Especially if it's local to you. Anyway, shop around and find a good price and make an offer to your local or preferred dealer (it needs to be reasonable). They need to know you will be buying a sled that day though (either there or somewhere else). As stated by usafracer, pretty much make a take it or leave it offer, but be tactful. If they won't do it, just remind them that you would like to remain doing business with them but not at the expense of paying them more for something you can get somewhere else for that price. If they still say no, just leave. Go to a competing dealership and tell them the story of how you were a loyal customer of XXXX dealership and can't believe the lack of loyalty ........yada..yada..yada..... Chances are they will do the deal, and gain a customer who appreciates loyalty. Local dealerships like local customers, they are the ones who routinely utilize overpriced services and pay for marked up OEM and aftermarket parts.

No scientific data to support this, but it seems to work for me, for both sleds and autos.

By the way, if you really want to push the envelope and are actually doing a full on negotiation to get to an agreeable price, then after you get to a price you like, tell them "if that's as low as you can go I'll take it but now we need to talk about some accessories". And get a few more goodies (cover, different windshield, 10% off the purchase of any gear that day, whatever....) It works, as least it does for me. And don't be afraid to remind them that the best type of advertising is "word of mouth", again, especially for local dealers.

FWIW, good luck.

Or, for a small fee, and a round trip airline ticket, I will perform this service for you :jump:

X2

billy2guns said:
Shop around and even get a quote or two. if you find a good deal, go to your dealer and present them with your quote and ask them to match it and you will do buisness with them. It worked when I was truck shopping.

x's 2 nothing like 2 dealers fighting over each other!

Service service service is the key. Sometimes these things break and who will help you. It is not worth saving a couple hundred bucks. I found out the hard way.

While working on the price don't mention having hooked up with the babe at the parts counter and then find out she's the dealer's wife. However, if you're good, you still should get a discount on parts and that can be worth a lot over a season.

My plan.....

I usually shop around price and extras from a few different dealers, then i go to MY dealer and ask what their price is for the same thing.... if their price is higher, i let them know what the other price was and they have NEVER let me down.

First time they matched it, the second time around their price was lower than the other prices anyways.....

The key is always to buy from who u trust and who you know will take care of you! That in itself is worth more than a few bucks saved if you know what i mean.....

Try to arrive at their best deal - then leave. Tell them you're going to think about it. Then LEAVE.

NEVER EVER try to close a deal on your first visit. It will almost always get better after you've left.....

While you're "thinking" about it, check with some other dealers to see if the price you received really is a good deal......or better used as a bargaining point at the next dealer.

Just remember these people need to make a living too. Most dealers that make a little money off of you will treat you better in the long run than someone that nickels and dimes them to death.

Back