• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how to test for exhaust donut problems

rx1 man 04

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha apex gt and 2012 Yamaha apex xtx
I know a couple of people stated you can check for exhaust donut leaks by plugging the exhaust pipe outlets with wet rags. I did this on the weekend and the sled started to die after a couple of seconds, . I do not have any backfiring issues or loss of top end or mid range power. Just wanted to see what everyone thinks. I do have access to a rigid see snake camera, anyway of getting the extension up in the tunnel to check with the camera. Will most likely change them this summer but the sled has 8,000 kms on it and I thought I would have seen a problem by now. a rigid see snake is a portable camera with a telescopic wand. the wand extends around 36 inches.

rx1 man 04
i also never had any backfiring at all,
decided to change the donuts anyway,
when i took the donuts out,
two were almost gone and two were completely gone just the wire was left,
i noticed a lot of steam coming up from the bars when i would stop,
that's how i new something was up..

You can't see the donuts without pulling the pipes apart so camera will do you no good for that. You would be able to look for cracked pipes though.

Fabio said:
rx1 man 04
i also never had any backfiring at all,
decided to change the donuts anyway,
when i took the donuts out,
two were almost gone and two were completely gone just the wire was left,
i noticed a lot of steam coming up from the bars when i would stop,
that's how i new something was up..

This was my first indicator also Fabio! I had "steam" coming out the stainless ring around my handlebars. No backfiring. This is often the first tell tell sign of leaking exhaust I've heard....

Yamahahapex I also get steam around the gauge etc, before and after i did the donuts,

I think it's from the humidity,

The steam I was getting was more like smoke coming up from the steering colum like super sled said,

I also was smelling a strong smell of gas once I would stop after a good run, now I don't with new donuts..

Like Fabio, mine was exhaust. Smelled like exhaust was the best indicator! my guages have steam on the all the time and always have too. But the steadily increasing plume of exhaust gasses coming up the ring are exhaust. I wish it was just condensation damn it!!!!!!!!!!

steam rising from around handlebars

when I plugged the exhaust, I did notcie a little bit of steam or maybe exhaust coming around the handlebars just before the machine started to die. I had been out the day before on a long run and the trailer had been sitting in the enclosed trailer overnight. The outside temperature was also very cold - 25 deg celcuis so I did not think anything of it. the mid range and top end power is still excellent and no backfiring issue. I think I will wait till the summer to tear it apart and change the donuts just to be on the safe side. only 6 to 8 more weeks of riding left in my area. Have they updated these donuts or are they the same as they were stock from the factory.

Uh - Oh, not sounding good here guys. On my last ride I smelled gas and I had smoke or steam rising from my stearing column. No back firing though, 5300 miles.

fisch137 said:
Uh - Oh, not sounding good here guys. On my last ride I smelled gas and I had smoke or steam rising from my stearing column. No back firing though, 5300 miles.

I bet your donut are wearing out too then.

Not to horn in here, I believe this is relevant to the post. If anyone else is like me, smoking from steering column and smelling gas, how long can you run one like this? Could I get through the season or should a guy get the heat on and get started?

Start the sled and kneel down next to it right at the the foot wells until your head is lower than the foot well themselves and you will easily hear the leak right at the point in which the gaskets are located, ya can darn near see them if ya look at the end of the Y-pipes. and if it is REAL cold out you will see the exhaust.
Rich.

Back