• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

3” Exhaust options

Nothing is a quiet as a stock restrictive muffler nor will it ever be.
Nothing is free and the horsepower gods demand blood.

I plan on running the 2.5trail muffler from hurricane.

I tried it on my last ride last year. Even on a stock exhaust the dB in my helmet is so effing loud. It's mainly due to the wind at higher speeds.

I gained about 20mph on my normal cruising speed. The downside is that you can't listen to any of the small sounds that sleds sometimes make before something goes wrong. I once caught a delaminating belt on an xc600 because a very small clunk it was making.
Does Viney fab still make exhaust for the 998?

I run 450+ HP in my car thru a single 2 1/2 exhaust, many points in the exhaust choke down smaller than 2 1/2" too. Obviously I am leaving some power on the table but I think our engines are not very restricted by a good 2 1/2" muffler....

There may be a couple HP but is it worth the noise at 300HP and less levels??

Exhaust performance is not just about the size of the pipe. An exhaust system is (ideally) a tuned resonator from exhaust ports to the end of the muffler. It must deal with a lot of very complex flow rate issues across a broad spectrum of frequency and pressures. A 2.5" exhaust in a car where the exhaust runs are fairly straight and unobstructed is not the same as 2.5" in the complex exhaust routing that is required to cram the same muffler into a snowmobile. To make up for the lack of flow (due to convolutions in flow path) we end up going bigger.

How much of a performance difference is there between a stock muffler tune and a performance muffler tune? I'm not talking actual HP numbers, I'm talking SOTP feel while trail riding.

The SOTP feel is defiantly there. More throttle response and power. It's the noise that gets me...

Yes, He's not doing them full time anymore, but he was talking about going full tilt again at some point. Awesome 3" muffler and IMO the quietest one out there. It has a longer body than many of the others which I think makes it quieter than the rest. I sure like mine.

IMO, no doubt any muffler w packing gets louder over time. I asked my muffler manufacturer if mine could be repacked. All I heard was crickets. Note to self - take increasing sound level into account when making purchasing a packed muffler.

IMO, no doubt any muffler w packing gets louder over time. I asked my muffler manufacturer if mine could be repacked. All I heard was crickets. Note to self - take increasing sound level into account when making purchasing a packed muffler.
Absolutely, been there done that with the packed mufflers. They are quiet for a while but will get louder... stock mod is probably the only way to get some power and maintain some sort of noise level. I did the 3" td stock mod this year and although it sounds "stock like" it's still def louder than stock. Makes me wonder if a warden will let me drive by or not. We shall see as I didn't encounter one this year running it.

Yes, he does not advertise them because he stays pretty busy with local work and has kids now. Td superquiet 3” is the same exact magnaflow muffler as viney fab but has a slightly different inlet and the support brackets arent as nice as the viney but they do their job.

Back