• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurley vacation this sunday any good powder advice

Grab a trail map, and look at some of the bars around the flowage.
I go the Mercer every year, and I like to stop at Squeaks, in Hurley, as well as the Wolf's Den at the Great Northern. Pine Lake Lodge is a great place for the sit down type dinner. We usually ride there on our sleds, but without all the sled gear. It has a bar and a supper club atmosphere, with good food.
I'll look at my trail map, and let you know which ones I like the best up there, but anywhere around there is awesome. I like the timber areas the best.

I usually make two or three trips a year to Hurley......i absolutely love that area. If your going to eat in Hurley you have to try the "Bell Chalet" and the "Branding Iron"......The bell had some of the best pizza you will ever eat. The branding iron is a steak house, great prime rib and mexican dishes and if your brave a 43oz margarita!!!!! The night life in Hurley is second to none. The whole town is set up around snowmobiling. Have met nothing but good people over the last 5 years. Be good to them and they will take care of you.

As far as riding....if your gonna just ride the Wisconson side....there are two trails i love.......If there is good snow try "the hogsback" its either 13 or 15 on your map(the curvy one) goes south to island lake, its very wide and fast...stop at Bear Chasers (good food)..........the other trail is the "iron horse"....it goes west and meets 77...i think its trail 8, but you have to look at each trail sign to be sure.....usually good powder and a fun trail to ride....elevation changes and lots of twisties...there is a trail that goes west from the island lake area that goes into the next county...i think its 11 or 14 towards the town of Glidden.....we take it to see some family there, it always has good powder and is very rarely ridden. .......

if you venture east into the U.p.....trail 11n goes north to silver city...its alot of fun too. At the north end of it there is a forest road that is like 30ft wide with gentle sweeping turns.....if there not logging up there its like a ten mile run wide open and safe. My favorite trail is trail 1a.....it runs north and south on the west side of lake gogebic......20-25 miles..big sweeping curves and is usually in great shape since everybody usually want to go run the lake. so keep it a secret..lol.

If you want to know anymore pm me ...... like i said this is my favorite place in the world to ride. Great snow, great trails, great little bars and restuarants, and great people. 525 miles to get there for me but worth the trip every time.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. It should help. I am logging my entire trip on my GPS. Anyone know if any of he trail maps can be down loaded to GPS units?

What Burnzy07attak said. To be honest, I would stay away from riding in the U.P. when you stay in Hurley. There is only one trail in the U.P. out to Wakefield and it gets pounded from all the traffic.

From Hurley, head south down the railroad grade to Pine Lake Lodge. Take the trail that heads east from there (trail #8I think) over to Manitowish Waters. Twisty trail that also has portions on old logging roads. Lots of fun to ride. In Manitowish Waters, good pizza at the Pea Patch and there is an exceptional German restaurant across the street. You can then head north up to Presque Isle and stop in at Skyview Lodge. They also have great food and the trail is quite fast.

Back