• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hyfax ?

I have used the reverse method before in a jam, and it really works great, just tasp the gas and they start to peel off. Taking the skid out is the prefered method but in a pinch the reverse method is awesome you won't hurt anything

I have done the same as Mr shid with the vese grips and it works great. Make sure you use the right number phillips screw driver.

I'm going to get bashed for this one but this method works very easily and doesn't damage the rails:

On my MTX I loosen the track and tip it on its side. Then work my way front to back with a small propane torch and a large rubber coated flathead screw driver to peel the slider off the rail. Done it twice this way so far and each slider comes off in about 5 minutes. I know it sounds savage but it works great!

viper7mi said:
I have done the same as Mr shid with the vese grips and it works great. Make sure you use the right number phillips screw driver.
Yes rounding off the heads not a good thing, know what size phillips is correct?

I'm sure technically it's a metric. Yes they have metric screwdrivers, but I use a #3 and it works fine. Most of the large phillips head bolts/screws will require a #3 on the Yamahas.

that is a goot tip about the oil running into the airbox if you tip it to the clutch side. I may have overlooked that if I did hyfax removal using that method.

mr. shide said:
that is a goot tip about the oil running into the airbox if you tip it to the clutch side. I may have overlooked that if I did hyfax removal using that method.

I used to tip them on the side but they were 2-smokes. A good tip, agreed.

just replaced mine. Had to widen one hole on each side to get the hyfax thru. Used the hammer and punch on the side method. Took a 3/8" drive extension and flattend it in the grinder to give it a sharp but blunt end. Tried a screw driver but yes I went thru and hit the rail. Had to file smooth before reinstalling. Not brave enough to try the reverse thing. Also added Kimpex bogey wheels which are about a 1/4" larger diameter than the yamaha wheels. I have read here that it should increase hyfax life quite abit.

METRIC PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWDRIVER? I DONT THINK SO. Its a #3 phillips . Use a high quailty one like a Snap-on.

Job Done

Just finished, had to open up a window on each side and one gave me fits, just wouldn't slide off. New ones went on smooth with lots of lube. Thanks for the tips, glad I didn't tip it like I used to with the 2-strokes. Just loosened the track and lifted up the back. THINK SNOW!!!!!!!

If your not comfortable running the sled in reverse just roll the track by hand, works great and quite easy to do!

:-o

Here it is

Attachments

• 725035.jpg
    725035.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 369
Cobalt said:
If your not comfortable running the sled in reverse just roll the track by hand, works great and quite easy to do!

:-o
X2!!
You guys are missing out if you arent doing it by just rolling the skid in reverse or starting it, either way. If youre not comfortable tapping the gas, add a little brake to it while doing it to control the speed? Once it has started to come off, as long as there's no innocent bystanders, you're not likely to hurt anything... LaLaLa
We've changed a half a dozen sets of sliders in a half hour or so on a few occations on the TY rides when the snow conditions arent the greatest. It sure is handy being able to know how to do it quick when its freezing outside!

X3 on the reverse method. When you are trying to change them in a parking lot at -20 its a great method. Although last year I totally rebuilt my rear suspension and while I was at it I had the rails powder coated. The sliders are much easier to slide on and off now. Just the vise grips once the sliders are back enough to get a grip.

Back