• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil tank leak

My BOP gasket arrived. Tempted to drain the oil yet again to get the job out of the way seeing there is no snow in sight for a while. Any tricks for removing oil (it’s new oil) without having to buy another drain plug o-ring? Was thinking about using a vacuum tool but not sure if I’d get it all out.

My BOP gasket arrived. Tempted to drain the oil yet again to get the job out of the way seeing there is no snow in sight for a while. Any tricks for removing oil (it’s new oil) without having to buy another drain plug o-ring? Was thinking about using a vacuum tool but not sure if I’d get it all out.
If the ring is new? Flip it over and reuse.. Just don't over torque the sh*^ out of it.. I have used them numerous times without using a new one.. Also the torque on that BOP gasket is INCH POUNDS i believe.. Follow the torque specs and get the correct torque wrench if you don't have one..

If the ring is new? Flip it over and reuse.. Just don't over torque the sh*^ out of it.. I have used them numerous times without using a new one.. Also the torque on that BOP gasket is INCH POUNDS i believe.. Follow the torque specs and get the correct torque wrench if you don't have one..
Ya o-ring only been installed once and to torque spec. Funny the original started leaking and I never ever removed it. Only after I put new oil it did it leak lol. Thanks for the heads up on the BOP torque. I will look them up again on his site. I do have a nice little torque wrench for these smaller bolts, i used it for the chaincase bolts.

Ya o-ring only been installed once and to torque spec. Funny the original started leaking and I never ever removed it. Only after I put new oil it did it leak lol. Thanks for the heads up on the BOP torque. I will look them up again on his site. I do have a nice little torque wrench for these smaller bolts, i used it for the chaincase bolts.
pretty sure Travis has a video on BOP web site in this gasket and torque.

Or you could install this, then you never have to replace the o-ring.

EZ Drain Oil Drain​

Site sponsor
:4STroke::rocks:

There's a few of these kits around.
PEFI also has one. Like all their hardware, it's like jewelry.

Went to dealer today and they said Yamaha has a rubber gasket now. Any one hear that Yamaha is now selling a rubber gasket like bop for oil tank?

Went to dealer today and they said Yamaha has a rubber gasket now. Any one hear that Yamaha is now selling a rubber gasket like bop for oil tank?

No, fake news, they are still using silicone, but at least they are using a good amount of it unlike in the past.

No, fake news, they are still using silicone, but at least they are using a good amount of it unlike in the past.
ok thank you, getting ready to do barn of parts gasket. Any tips I need to know besides follow his instructions.

Last edited:
Kept putting off the BOP gasket install. Decided to just tackle it today and get it out of the way. I was surprised how much moisture/condensation was on the upper inside tank housing. I cleaned and wiped it all out well before reassembling. Old gasket material came off easily. Made sure to get it all of each surface. Used blue Loctite on the threads. Torqued to 6 foot pounds in increments. Checked few mins later and re torqued. Dealer said they put a wrap of teflon on drain bolt threads. I also trying this. Not sure if it will deteriorate with the oil or not but o-ring pretty new and only been off once. Hopefully this will stop the little drops of oil I’ve been finding on bottom of tank every couple days.

Back