• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I am surprised by some of you (though...not really)

Heritage

Expert
I don't get all the cry baby stuff about yama cat....I personally think it's great. I think some of you just like to bitch....

Every issue you guys have about the Nytro is adressed with the SR VIPER...it's going to ride better, handle better...probably is lighter...has better wind protection...FAR BETTER suspension...it retains yamaha's excellent driveline...there are new length's and track options...heck even heated seats (just like your ski-doo buddies have)...and I will bet you the handwarmers work well stock, and you won't be replacing wheels, or slides nearly as much.

The awesome yamaha triple, in a great chassis....what's not to like???
Have any of you nay sayers ridden the new cats??? I have and to be quite frank....my next purchase was going to be a cat...long before this happenend...you can't even compare the ride and handling of the new cat
to an apex or Nytro...the cat kicks it's #*$&@ bad. It's so much easier to ride, and NO EPS is needed to get it not to dart or to corner on rails.
It's a flickable, much lighter chassis....and with the side exit exhaust...there will be no more tunnel icing....AGAIN...WHAT'S THE DOWNSIDE GUYS???

Other than having a stock turbo/super charged SR VIPER...I see ZERO negatives.
I know the mountain guys are a bit peeved...but I would bet, You guys will get all new stuff next year...and it's going to be good.

The only thing that bothers me is... I see the truth...yamaha snowmobiles as we know them are gonna end...probably in the next 5 years...and I am OK with that...sad...but...it is what it is. I will buy yamaha powered cats...anyday... before I will start wearing PISS YELLOW again.

Do whatever you like guys....if switching to ski-doo is what you need to do...then do it...be happy...ride what you want.

Personally I love this....A Cat Chassis with a yamaha engine and driveline...LOVE IT!!! I have owned all 4 brands in the last 15 years, and I always loved the way my Cats handled and rode...just hated the vibration, the fit and finish...and that they were gas, and oil sucking pigs...plus my crossfire 6 was a turd...a vector would spank it...so now I get a kick #*$&@ triple 4 stroke that actually will ride and handle well?? and probably will be the king of the 120 to 130 HP class ?? LOVE IT!!!
(SMH @ the haters)

Everyone on this site ahs the right to their own opinion. some people just cant handle others opinion. im not going to ride an arctic cat(viper) wearing my yamaha gear. i dont liek what yamaha did with basically re-badging the cat, and making a few changes. see my personal opinion. yamaha has totally different sleds than cat, polaris or ski-doo. it sounds different, looks different, handles different, and has a totally different powerband than any of them. each and every sled is different for different riding styles, just dont bash the #*$&@ out of everyones opinion. cuz every one, like everysled is different

I agree with almost everything Heritage said. And as to the crap about a 1st yr sled, I had one of the original Vipers and it was quite possibly the best sled I ever owned. Rode that thing for 4 seasons and about 16k miles with just normal wear issues. I'd be willing to try one of the new ones. Bigger tank, better ride and lighter but still the Nytro FI motor and drive train .......what's not to like?

I do wonder about chassis durability......I'm a big guy and that sucker does look a tad "flimsy" if you will........ LaLaLa

And how many more years, do we have to hear " NEXT YEAR ". I,m getting old, and my retirement fund is running low, in a hurry. So, I,ll either be to old, or to broke, to finally buy an all new Yamaha sled. Hurry the H@ll up, would you. LOL

Heritage said:
I know the mountain guys are a bit peeved...but I would bet, You guys will get all new stuff next year...and it's going to be good.

It's always "next year" for the mountain sleds and it never comes. I put off buying a new sled this year, opting instead to wait until Yamaha rolled out their new stuff. And, just like always, there's nothing new for the mountain rider. A $15000 Nytro MTX parade float with "A brand new mountain strap!" Impressive...

Given Yamaha's complete lack of effort shown to mountain segment over the past years it's safe to assume that either they don't give a damn about it or don't have the engineering know-how to build a decent mountain sled on their own. What's coming for 2015? A Cat M chassis with a Nytro engine in it? Might be OK with a turbo but I'm not gonna wait another year just to be disappointed again.

Yes. Amazed at the screaming the past several years. When is Yamaha going to give us a sled that handles and is not heavy. Now you get the sled you wanted for the past eight years. Some say it was not done correctlly. Some claim a Yamaha sellout. Hello, Case you do not grasp this, Yamaha is a very large multi-national corporation who has this small division that builds snowmobiles. The past several years earnings have dropped due to a bad economy and low snow winters. Yamaha was not a snowmobile company when they started. So a business decision is made. We can get a updated chassis from AC and supply them engines. Lower our costs and give our customers what they want. Great move Yamaha. :yam:

Heritage,
Very well said.

How many years have gone by with yamaha doing nothing? It's been 6 years. Sorry, power steering doesn't make my heart skip a beat, it was a bandaid to mask the weight of a DBII chassis. FX2 geometry? It didn't work worth a sh!t to fix the Nytro.

If you don't like the Viper, don't buy one. There are still a bunch of the same old, heavy, ill-handling, genuine Yamaha sleds in the line-up. The DBII's are excellent for groomed trails, that hasn't changed. There is still a darting, top heavy Nytro available. It even makes ice for you in the tunnel for your mixed drink at the end of the ride.

This Viper is a huge leap forward and will allow Yamaha's sled division to stay in business. i can see from the pics they made changes to the pro-cross chassis to make it better than the '13 Cat. My old Vector and Nytro's had great engines but the chassis just didn't compare with what the other OEM's offered for ride and handling. Yamaha is now there and that's huge news!

I keep wanting to create a list of everything that was flawed and wrong with both my Nytro and Vector. Talking common problems here that everyone complained about.... year.....after..... year. Things that Yamaha ignored and didn't change. It amazes me how some of the brand loyal, blue goggle wearing owners forget about that. Yamaha sleds weren't perfect, their pathetic marketshare reflected that and when they finally offer something way better some of you still b!tch.

Hopefully this new release weeds out the brand loyal diehards on this site who did nothing but try to stifle constructive criticism and discussions about what Yamaha could do to improve their sleds.

With winters getting crappier and crappier, why would a manufacture want to sink a ton of money into R&D of sleds? I see alot of arm chair engineers here. The cost of making sleds is getting out of control. I think Yamaha was smart in doing what they did. Not a big cat fan, but with Yamaha having their fingers in development and production of the Viper, I feel it should be solid product (time will tell). I have to laugh at some of the commits here. What kind of a sled were you really expecting? And how much do you really know to make the decisions you've made in the past few hours? Total respect for the ones that run this site, but disappointed how childish this has become by different users.

And I have to say AKrider, I'm not sure how you setup your Nytro (most be the '08 issue), but I never had an issue with the Nytro's handling and weight, and this comes from someone that ditch bangs harder than most. So don't tell me I'm not riding hard enough. Shrunk ego's of alot of Rev owners when challenged.

Don't have to take my word for it, proof that Nytros don't handle as well as the other OEM sleds is:
1. They aren't XC racing stock Nytros. Had to install a different front end.
2. Sales numbers, tons if left over Nytros at dealers.
3. Yamaha gave up on the Nytro, went to a Cat chassis.
4. Ride another brand of bump sled. They ALL handle better than the Nytro.

Glad to see they Yamaha moved on.

Heritage said:
I don't get all the cry baby stuff about yama cat....I personally think it's great. I think some of you just like to bitch....

Every issue you guys have about the Nytro is adressed with the SR VIPER...it's going to ride better, handle better...probably is lighter...has better wind protection...FAR BETTER suspension...it retains yamaha's excellent driveline...there are new length's and track options...heck even heated seats (just like your ski-doo buddies have)...and I will bet you the handwarmers work well stock, and you won't be replacing wheels, or slides nearly as much.

Have any of you nay sayers ridden the new cats??? I have and to be quite frank....my next purchase was going to be a cat...long before this happenend...you can't even compare the ride and handling of the new cat
to an apex or Nytro...the cat kicks it's #*$&@ bad. It's so much easier to ride, and NO EPS is needed to get it not to dart or to corner on rails.
It's a flickable, much lighter chassis....and with the side exit exhaust...there will be no more tunnel icing....AGAIN...WHAT'S THE DOWNSIDE GUYS???

The only thing that bothers me is... I see the truth...yamaha snowmobiles as we know them are gonna end...probably in the next 5 years...and I am OK with that...sad...but...it is what it is. I will buy yamaha powered cats...anyday... before I will start wearing PISS YELLOW again.

Do whatever you like guys....if switching to ski-doo is what you need to do...then do it...be happy...ride what you want.

Personally I love this....A Cat Chassis with a yamaha engine and driveline...LOVE IT!!! I have owned all 4 brands in the last 15 years, and I always loved the way my Cats handled and rode...just hated the vibration, the fit and finish...and that they were gas, and oil sucking pigs...plus my crossfire 6 was a turd...a vector would spank it...so now I get a kick #*$&@ triple 4 stroke that actually will ride and handle well?? and probably will be the king of the 120 to 130 HP class ?? LOVE IT!!!
(SMH @ the haters)

OK so where are you getting the weight! Personally, I'm disappointed that Yamaha could't manage to do this in house in spite of their major R&D resources. For me i'll keep my stretched FX Nytro and upgrade front & rear suspension to TS or other aftermarket and I will end up with more power, equal or better handling, and a lighter sled for less $! In terms of business, if the Viper is also badged in green then its a draw for both and they have still increased / duplicated product line. If they are going this route - co-operation - then get out of sleds and sell powertrain to the other OEM!
As for all the hype .... seems to be much ado about nothing.

Heritage said:

(SMH @ the haters)

OK so where are you getting the weight numbers! Unlikely that the weight drop is significant enough for me to warrant a new sled(s). Handling will have to be night and day different to justify the Cdn MSRP.
Personally, I'm disappointed that Yamaha could't manage to do this in house in spite of their major R&D resources. For me I'll keep my stretched FX Nytro and upgrade front & rear suspension to TS or other aftermarket and I will end up with more power, equal or better handling, and a lighter sled for less $!

In terms of business, if the Viper is also badged in green then its a draw for both and they have still increased / duplicated product line and inventory / tooling / manufacturing costs. If they are going this route - cooperation - then get out of sleds and sell powertrain to the other OEM!
As for all the hype .... seems to be much ado about nothing!

Best of both worlds IMO. Yam got so far behind on their chassis and suspension that they were never going to catch up. With this move they just jumped ahead 10+ years. I am just slightly disappointed that they didn't tweak the Nytro mill for some extra hp but I am sure I will love it. Next year will do a late season buy as long as there is nothing CATastrophically (get it) wrong with this sled.

Also to the doubters get yourself a ride on a procross it is an awesome handler!!!!

i have a 06 nytro backdraft, i love my sled. i have it set up and it handles great for me. i could pick it and make it better but i hate buying tracks. i dont not think my sled is too heavy, i ride on trails and it always runs. in fact i think the weight has alot to do with the way it rides. that being said i never complain about my yammi, i am now dissapointed in the motor company if the business is that bad get out of it. if this trend continues as i believe it will a complete line of rebadges. i will never have another new yami hopefully i can get a lightly used model. i have a very good friend who is a cat master tech he rides yamis, not just because of the engines but the whole package. anything built in theif river falls will be the same, same philosophys same crews different plastic and drivetrain. you guys are welcome to buy all the sr vipers you can i will not get in your way, whats next year the 4 holer in the same chassis called a srx.

First off...I am not sure you can make a nytro as light as the cat.....The new cat chassis is significantly lighter than the old F...(which in some cases was heavier than the nytro) I thought I read where the new cat was 60 lbs lighter than the chassis it replaced....the nytro motor will be a bit heavier than the twin suzuki...but not much...so (and this is just a guess)...I would say fully fueled it should be 40 to 50 lbs lighter than the nytro....and probably over 100 lbs lighter than an apex....that is very significant, and would be very noticible...secondly with the exhaust under the hood, you shouldn't get all that tunnel icing...you may not realize how much icing occurs...if you add even 20 lbs to your sled..it will affect how it rides and handles, and can contribute to wearing you out faster...I don't care what anybody says...try digging an attack out....been there done that...IT SUCKS...very heavy in the rear.
I see some of you have missed that these sleds do have some slight differences in the hood, side panels, and windshields....the viper also uses Yamaha gauges (which I like )....and yamaha is not using cats driveline....they are using their own...which is another good thing...yami's don't blow belts... cats do....so far what I see is the best of both worlds.
I will bet their will be a turbo/supercharged viper next year, when cat starts using the yami motors....if you really think about the big picture...the yamaha motors (and possible dfi tech for their two strokes)..makes the cats far more attractive to buyers....you will get better fuel economy...better throttle response...and probably better performance....AND Cat's four stroke will no longer sound like an elephant passing gas....it's really a total win for cat too.
Some of you can say it's a cop out, and maybe it is...but logic tells me...that all of your (nytro riders especially) gripes have been addressed.
The guys who are really gonna be pissed...are the after market guys...no more getting rich of yamaha riders...no need to revalve shocks, buy springs, get clutch kits, bigger windshields, yamaheaters, skis, dually's, triple points, track wheels, expensive slides.....just think.... you can ride a yamaha powered sled...that you don't have to spend thousands on to get it to ride or handle right...or make warmer...etc.
You don't have to like how yamaha went about it....but the end result is what counts in my book.

Back