• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice build up in tunnel? Here's relief!

Dumb question here. Would painting the inside of the tunnel do anything? Even if only a clear paint? If i weren't studded, I'd have those tunnel protectors gone already, that seems to be THE BIGGEST contributor to the snow build up.

Did you coat the exhaust as well, or did you try and stay away from that area as much as posssible?

I looked at removing the Tunnel gaurds from mine as I'm not studded and they certainly seem to be the problem. However, it appears as if the exhaust hangs down below the tunnel line and I was afraid that if I bottomed the sled out it would be impact on the exhaust.

Anyone have any thoughts on this as I'd really like to pull them out and reduce the icing.

Ok, though so just wanted to check. I am going to do mine now and when I get back next week I will post up the results

Well I found some of that snow plow wax spray at our shop. I dosed the tunnel and rear skid real well. We'll see if it helps any.

dupont teflon wheel cleaner

Gonna give this a shot. Gave the entire underneath a bunch of sprays until it was dribbling down on my track (at least my track shines now :bling
It says it protects, and has teflon in it so we will see. Not riding til sunday and will post with the results.

Attachments

• 31N4466SRWL__SS400_.jpg
    31N4466SRWL__SS400_.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 120
journeyman said:
http://www.northwoodstm.com/products/details.phtml?id=172&cat=18

If you google SNOW PLOW WAX you will come up with all sorts of products like this.

I've used this product on shovels, scrapers, & Bobcat buckets. It works well while it lasts, which isn't real long in a bucket. I think the scraping action of the snow & ice wears it off.
It's a "formulation of silicone & other proprietary ingredients". You can get a little "high" if you spray enough in an enclosed room....

I'll have to give it a try on my sled......looks like winter may be coming back for a short while.

ice

I heard a rear heat exchanger of a mountain could solve the problem .
any one tried this before?

Trussman said:
journeyman said:
http://www.northwoodstm.com/products/details.phtml?id=172&cat=18

If you google SNOW PLOW WAX you will come up with all sorts of products like this.

I've used this product on shovels, scrapers, & Bobcat buckets. It works well while it lasts, which isn't real long in a bucket. I think the scraping action of the snow & ice wears it off.
It's a "formulation of silicone & other proprietary ingredients". You can get a little "high" if you spray enough in an enclosed room....

I'll have to give it a try on my sled......looks like winter may be coming back for a short while.

Just got back yesterday from the UP of Mich........got 630 miles on. The snow wax worked real well. The first day I had some build up and I slammed the rear end up and down a couple times and alot of it fell out. From that point on I had zero issues. The Cobra track I run seems to have more build up too. I would recommend this stuff as long as your sled stays out in the cold during a trip. If you bring it in to melt off, you will have to re-apply the stuff.

Is the shield that other guys where putting on not working? It looked like guys had a permanent fix using heating duct tin for $3.00. Let me know if there is something wrong with that idea.

So my big question is will Yamaha cover suspension, track or tunnel damage from ice buildup? The ice buildup on my XTX and my friends is VERY excessive. I am going to try to spray my tunnel but why should I? Yamaha should fix this problem. This is a great sled, but has some very serious issues with it that worry me for longevity. About every ten miles I have a chunk of ice break off and make aweful noises going through the front of the tunnel. I can see my track ripping from a chunch of ice, or the front of the tunnel having some serious damage.

mrosenow said:
So my big question is will Yamaha cover suspension, track or tunnel damage from ice buildup? The ice buildup on my XTX and my friends is VERY excessive. I am going to try to spray my tunnel but why should I? Yamaha should fix this problem. This is a great sled, but has some very serious issues with it that worry me for longevity. About every ten miles I have a chunk of ice break off and make aweful noises going through the front of the tunnel. I can see my track ripping from a chunch of ice, or the front of the tunnel having some serious damage.

One of the guys I rode with this week was running a 2008 Nytro. He sprayed his tunnel with a product from Amsoil....can't remember what it was called but it worked well. He had no issues of buildup at all. I rode behind him the whole week and I noticed every so often it would drop a big chunk of snow/ice out of the rear end.

Back