• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice build up?

badlarry

Extreme
What is everyone doing to remove or eliminate ice build up. I see a #*$&@ load in the rear of my tunnel. I chip it away but at 7 am in -5 temps I really dont want to lay on ground for 20 minutes before I ride. It not only collects in and around my snow flap but all around both pivot arms. Should i just tap tap tappy with a hammer?? I just dont want to f any thing up. Also I would think leaving it there could add as much as 50# weight and could bind up skid and cause shock and pivot arm damage?? I have 4600 miles on it and am trying to eliminate a $2000.00 repair bill due to something I can prevent.

Jim :o|

Do a search on ice build-up, someone tried a aluminium plate to cover the exhaust hole, he installed it between the exhaust and the tunel protectors.......

I took everything out of the tunnel, and made my cover plate for the excell pipe with a hole just big enough for the pipe. Then I painted the undertunnel with moly coat spray.....ice does not stick anymore. and if you get alittle just a small tap knocks it loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a rear heat exchanger and eliminates a lot of ice build up, my buddy removed his tunnel protectors and it really helped...if your running STUDS you can't remove them!

2XM3 said:
I took everything out of the tunnel, and made my cover plate for the excell pipe with a hole just big enough for the pipe. Then I painted the undertunnel with moly coat spray.....ice does not stick anymore. and if you get alittle just a small tap knocks it loose.

good idea..why couldnt you use that spray on a stock setup on everything but the exhaust?

Last edited by a moderator:
i just bang mine up and down to get rid of alot of the build up beofre i take care of the sled and again before i ride it to free some of it up and to make sure the track is free. it does build alot of ice for sure.

When you park over night make sure to BACK UP the next morning to flush ICE that unlodged from tunnel onto track, I've seen some guys jam up ice chuncks in the front heat exchanger :o|

I just came back from Northern Michigan and was doing some deep powder riding.......my buddy and I both run Apex's and we couldn't believe how much snow hangs of these sleds.
It was unbelievable....we couldn't believe it when we started digging out the sleds how much snow actually hung from every part of the sled, including the running boards.
I hit some slush on a pond before we hit the deep stuff and my a-arms and spindles were a complete block of ice, it was unreal!!
I bet I was carrying 25-30lbs of ice and snow build up......it finally worked its way off on the trail and in the garage.

06apexrtx said:
i just bang mine up and down to get rid of alot of the build up beofre i take care of the sled and again before i ride it to free some of it up and to make sure the track is free. it does build alot of ice for sure.

Same here and i do it throughout the ride so it doesn't build up as much, comes down easy when the sled is warm.

I have noticed the same after coming from Polaris. It sure seems these sleds want to be put away in a heated garage after each ride to melt all the snow and ice off. Unfortunately I don't have a heated garage and resort to hitting a indoor car wash every couple rides to melt all the ice off with hot water.

It a product of the rear exhaust. I don't think you can really get away from it..

i wonder if MR.CLEAN DE-ICER windshield washer fluid that i use in my truck would work?? spray it on with a spray bottle before you go in for the night? lol lol

ice

someone on here said to use rust check you have to get from canada, i bought a case of 8 cans $80 dollars shipped it didn't work but is one of
the best product i have found, i have used amsoil for 30 yrs, i like their spray but this is better.

Back