• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice buildup in the steering area mtn lte

joel0920 said:
Yamaha was supporting that you use silicone to make the front parts more tight

Hahaha didnt read that until now. Of course they do! What could be more easy for them than letting the customer fix/repair/do mods to make this sled like it should have been from factory :o|

If they see any problem with the swiss cheese openings in the front plastic panels I think its theyr job to do the seal works.

Sorry to hear of your problem, I rode for 200 miles in powder up to the front bumper. Pulled the sled into garage to expose front of the engine compartment and did not have any ice build up in the compartment at all. I just wanted to know how to get to oil filter and other stuff if need be thats why I checked. The boondocker rules

Maybe the differece is temperature? in my case it was pretty cold
-15 to -25.

if warmer maybe the engine is able to keep the compartment free?

Or maybe you have less holes in the front?
i have notised that the black plastic that covering stearing area has quite weak sides, so when exposed to pressure it bends and let the snow in.
you can see it on some pictures whre i put my finger in between the black and the grey plastic in the front.

i guess that snow conditions can expose the plastic to different pressure?

/je

This is interesting. I was concerned about this when I looked at the front end design, but I haven't had any steering restrictions from snow...I know a lot gets in there, and I'm in deep powder a lot, but nothing enough to effect the steering's ability yet.

Still waiting for Yamaha to give us all free tunnel pannels.

I usually take a plastic mallet and smack off all the ice the collects in the tunnel and the front end. My steering box always has some ice in it but not like these pics. Front plastics have rather poor fit and the gaps allow no contest water entry. Never had steering issues. I see a clevis pin in one of those pictures which should not be there. All those steering components should be lock nutted and cotter pinned.

Back