• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I'm still cofused about how to check my ball joints.

Ericc

Hi

Sorry but but I'm new to this. I have 600 miles on my sled and I would want to check my ball joints

Upper ball joints: they won't move at all

Lower ball joints: I can twist them up or down but that's it.

Is everything ok? Sled rides fine.

Eric

grab lower a-arm beside ball joint...tug it up and down (lol) and see if you have play.

or, lift the front of the sled of the ground....grab spindle and lift it up and down.

or look at under side and see if the teflon like material is coming out yet.

I would recommend option 2 above. Get the weight off the skis - put a support under the frame - and then try lifting the UPPER a-arms. If there's excessive slop in the lower ball joint you will be able to see and feel the spindle moving relative to the LOWER a-arm.

My upper a-arms moved about 1/4" before I removed the ball joints and rebuilt them with custom bronze races.

after readin everyones issues i just assumed mine were going to have some slop. i was right, when i checked them today there was a but of play, but nothing too bad. I'll be changing them out this summer, if yamaha doesn't have a fix then i'll make my own.

Much easier to check for play when the weight is off the skis.

gormleyflyer2002 said:
grab lower a-arm beside ball joint...tug it up and down (lol) and see if you have play.

or, lift the front of the sled of the ground....grab spindle and lift it up and down.

or look at under side and see if the teflon like material is coming out yet.

i would have to agree with this :4STroke:

Back