• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Impressions 2007 Attak GT

Ski-Dog

Expert
Its only taken close to 3 months to finally take some time and write this but here goes.

This season I replaced my beloved 04 Warrior (10000 miles) with a new black Attack GT. I went with the 07 as I wanted a black one and wasn't certain whether I liked the 40th anniversay colours or not on the LTX. As my time is torn between young family and work my riding over the last 2 years has decreased dramatically.

I did the following prior to riding the sled:
- 162 ATS stainless steel studs, Studboy aluminum backers and Woody's big nuts
- 5.7 pilot skis with 6" carbide down the centre and 4" outside
- Yamaha mid height windshield
- Nose bag
- Windshield bag
- Garmin 60 CSX GPS mounted with Ram mount on handlebar riser (mounting idea I got from this site)
- Semi rigid saddle bags

So far (800 miles) I would say I like the sled very much. Overall it is very comfortable (more so than the Warrior) has has given me 0 troubles.

Engine
Very smooth perhaps slightly more than my Warrior which I would attribute to FI. The Warrior was very smooth as well but I can tell a slight difference. Starting is top notch warm or cold. Clutching seems the same as the Warrior although a bit more quiet. Glad its a 4 stroke and I don't need to get at the plugs. I did the 500 mile service and once I had the oil filter changed I looked at the sled and around the garage and there were sled guts everywhere. Seem to have parts removed sitting everywhere when working on the sled. Oil usage is negligible as it was on my Warrior.

Studs
I am running 162 as noted. The last 4 sleds I have had I ran without studs. I find they are harder on drivetrain and make a mess of the garage, driveway etc. I was also worried about potential vibration they may create. I put them on this time for safety as I ride with my young son ski-pup. I must say that I am glad to have studs once more and have no vibration from them. They helped avoid a collision already with a maniac driver coming down the trail as well (I had ski-pup with me) so would say they have already paid for themselves.

Suspension
Big improvement over the Warrior. I thought in reading posts that I would need the fat bastard spring (I'm 250 lb bare balls) but see no need for it. I have the sled set up for a great ride minus the inside ski lift. I have not pulled up on the limiter strap but think a 13 mm sway bar may be the way to go. I like the EC shock but don't find I change it that much. Once its where I want it conditions need to change dramatically for me to play with it.

Skis
Put on 5.7 pilots. Never rode with the stockers. The pilots are fine with hardly any noticible tracking but I think I would have been fine with shimmed stockers. The 5.7 Pilots are horrible in deep snow as far as I'm concerned. I had thought about the 6.9's but they start to cramp on trailer width. The Pilots do look good particularly with the full moon (silver) loops.

Fuel Mileage
Note imperial gallons. When new I was getting 16 to 17 mpg. Currently the best I get is 19 mpg. The Warrior was usually 19 and on occasion up to 21 under ideal conditions. One would think FI would yield better results than the carbs.

Ergos
Overall very good. I was worried that it may not be toasty warm like the Warrior. I find the handlebar warmers good and never had on the highest setting even at -30 C. I do have the mid height windshield which gained me about 2" over stock and I think it helps a great deal. I'm 6'2" and I still find it difficult to do any stand up riding though. The clock is great, I wish the mode button was on the bars somewhere. Given the motorcycle heritage I would still like push button starter on the bars like a bike. Stroage is good particularly with the nose bag and is a huge improvement over almost nothing with the Warrior.

Miscellaneous
I had the rear exchanger on the Warrior but do not on the Attak. So far no issue but I now collect tons of ice on the extension which the Warrior did not do with the heat exchanger. I would like to add as spring lake running will prove an issue in all likelihood. This time as noted I have studs and adding the exchanger and protectors looks like it could limit travel a bit plus the rear exchanger seems to have dramatically increased in cost. Yamaha should forego the almost useless rad and fan and put the money on some form of rear heat exchanger. I think it would work much better.
Having all the parts like hood and side panels pop off is good and bad. As I mentioned when doing an oil change I lloked around and there were parts and panels everywhere. When putting the well waxed and slippery hood back on it slid out of my hands and onto the floor making some small scratched (likely only noticable to me). If someone else wa around I could envision something getting stepped on or knocked over.
The new style rear mudflap is great particularly for a sled with reverse.
I am not a fan of painted tunnels (they look nice until you ride them) The paint is already starting to come off where my feet are and annoys me.
One big item that I did not count on is looks. When ever I go somewhere and it is parked the sled seems to gets many looks while sitting, moreso than other sleds I am usually around. Kind of like parking a Ducati amongst a bunch of motorcycles.

Thus far I have 800 miles on the sled and overall am very satisfied. My 2 main gripes are inside ski lift and the painted tunnel which is wearing. I'll certainly keep this sled for a few more years particularly seeing that riding has gone from 200 miles a day to 50 mile rides with ski-pup (he is 4 and loves riding with me so I wouldn't change that)

I'm certain that there are many things I have forgotten but thought I would finally give a report.

Thanks for the write-up! I just bought the same sled and have 100 miles on it. Can't wait to hit the trails this week.

Back