• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Impressions/Issues of 2006 Rage after mods/maint...

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Rage
So I got the sled the end of last season, put about 400 miles on it and only thing done then was to try the suspension setup by I think theCatman (not sure now). Sled does not have clicker shocks so only did what I could and for the most part it was just checking and verifying they were set that way (I changed I think front preload only). Didn't improve the issue which was darting and rolling.... But I love the lineal power and quietness of the engine (mileage was 15/16mg).

Over the summer I did the following maintenance and mods:
Regular engine maintenance ie oil, plugs... but did not adjust the valves. (note has 9500 miles on it.)
Replace exhaust donuts
Put new easy start clutch spring
New belt
Cleaned clutches
Skid got new slides, all new wheels and did the 4th wheel kit.
Changed skis to an AC M800 with new 6in carbides (wider to help it float better, Ive used them before)
Adjusted ski alignment to 1/8in toe out and corrected handlebars to be centered when skiis straight. (note there is play between handlebars and skiis and did not get to fixing that.)
Put a higher WRP seat on and raised handlebars 5 inches (and all cables got lengthened as needed)

I think that is it, impressions after mods:
Still love the engine both power and noise reduction and mpg has increased to 17- 17.5.
Ergonomics of seat and handlebars is perfect for me, very comfortable, and suspension feel for comfort is there too. Not quite as smooth as my AC F5 LXR but good enough.
Handling is the issue, still has bad darting and rolly feel to outside of direction it darts.

Suggestions?? I see people say they set the toe out to 3/8 to 1/2in, I am gonna try going to 1/4 first and then more. Also will a stiffer sway bar help? I see there are 12mm and 13mm but I see some people complain the ride is too harsh with the 13mm. Looks like 12mm comes stock on newer sleds but what years/models? I could try to get a used one.

Thanks!

~ Phil

Your darting would have been solved with a set of SnowTrackers on the stock skis. I don't know if you can buy them for your new skis. The 13 mm sway bar does help with the body roll along with adding a lot of preload to the front skis. I have not noticed the front end being to harsh with those adjustments, as with all the sled weight in the front, you need all that preload. I think 1/8-1/4" toe out is the way to go.

the 2011 and up apex sleds come with the 12 mm swaybar stock. barn of parts is about the only source for the 13 mm one anymore. on my old 05 rx warrior i put the 13 mm on it and it made the body roll way better. you might want to look into the ski shim mod in the tec pages as if the skis are tip down in the air, it acts squirrly going down the trail from too much ski tip pressure. have had to do it to almost every yamaha sled i owned at some point.

Hi Thrasher thanks, so I wanted the wider skis to help the front stay up on top when the trail isn't groomed yet, I don't ride off trail but I do ride before they are groomed sometimes. Also never used the snowtrackers, my last sled was as heavy (AC Bearcat) and it didn't dart like this and it just had carbides. I will try widing the toe out.

Maim thanks for the info on the 12mm swaybars, I think I will try going to a 12 if I can find a used one first. I will also look into the ski shim mod, to be honest now that you say the ski tip dropping down that could be my problem as I had to modify the rubber bumper to work with these skis and Ive probably added to the problem, maybe fixing that and a bit more toe out will solve my problem.

Issue of course the sled is at camp so not an easy thing to attempt to do....

Thank You

~ Phil

Deff. Do a ski shim.

Had simular darting problem on my rage, shimming the rear heal on the boushing between the ski and spindle made the sled both stop diving the the front down in deep snow and helped alot with the darting issue.

Setting the skid in correctly will do wounders for the deep snow capability.

High preload on the ski wont help with tippines or the the darting. Imo.

Update, I shimmed the skis so they have a slight point up in the front, and it did feel better, I then checked the toe out and there is a slight bit of play in the skis and when I pull the tips in there was a bit of tow-in, so I increased the toe out so when tips pulled they do not toe in at all. Did not get to try it after that but hoping it resolves the issue.

My only real grip with the sled (which is small) is the control for the thumb warmer, with it on the right side I cannot adjust it on the fly and keep the throttle on. Any hacks/mods to use a Doo or Cat controls to have it controlled on the left hand controller?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thanks

~ Phil

Back