• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Infrared Belt Temps Increasing

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Sidewinder
Does anyone else notice an increase in belt temps on their Razorback gauge when slowing down from a medium / high speed section of trail? I'm often seeing 10 - 20 degree F temp. increases, whether using the brakes or just letting off the throttle. Is this normal, and if not, what should be considered or changed to reduce this temp spike?

Does anyone else notice an increase in belt temps on their Razorback gauge when slowing down from a medium / high speed section of trail? I'm often seeing 10 - 20 degree F temp. increases, whether using the brakes or just letting off the throttle. Is this normal, and if not, what should be considered or changed to reduce this temp spike?
normal. In fact, after a long run I drive slowly (if I can) which is better than full stop.

The highest belt temps I ever see are when stopped after an extended high speed run.

I see the same. My belt/clutch temps are good when running the sled hard. When I have to do a slow ride home down some local trails and the beach to get home from the trail, that’s when my clutches and belt heat up the most.

Your generating underhood heat and when you slow down it takes a bit for the heat to escape so you warm up the surronding objects. It has nothing to do with the clutching itself.

Since these gages are IR, when we slow down or stop, underhood heat is picked up by sensor causing temporary spike.

Should put that gauge under my trucks hood in summer time, aim it at my belts, betcha there hot maybe I should put another vent in there. I have 308 hp under there, belts we’re designed for that. Just saying

My tuned SW with an 8DN usually runs @ 150'F when just riding in a group with wives ect. I see 170 - 180'F when doing steady brisk trail riding. When running multi mile high speed rail beds the temp will get up around 180 - 190'F then climb over 200'F when stopped with out a low speed cool down.

what temp is the average agresive ride seeing.

Average aggressive ride, hitting 7500-8500 off every corner for 8-10 corners straight, usually 165-170 on both my setups (using Razorback IR gauge). Cat is TAPP/STM secondary, 46/36 helix, green sno-pro spring. Winder is TAPP/stock secondary, 35 helix, B/O wrapped 70. Temps are remarkably similar with back-to-back riding in same conditions.

what temp is the average agresive ride seeing.
This is going to vary a fair amount based on outside temperatures, snow conditions and gearing and belt compounds. Typically when I test a new setup the first thing I do is head to the old rr beds and this allows me 15+miles where I can go any speed I want with only having to slow down for a couple road crossings. I cruise at 75-100mph with some occassional bursts to 110 or so and if outside temp is 15F or less and snow is hard I like to see in the 140's for temps. Anything more than that I have some inefficiencies that need attention. If temps are good I will do some full throttle pulls. Regardless of clutch setup you will get a temp rise but if it climbs quite quickly your probably getting too much slip. When you have decent grip on belt the temp wont climb rapidly. Short pulls corner to corner type stuff I dont get big increase in temps unless snow is soft and its hot out. Slow riding below 40mph or so and temps are low unless running the sled hard before, then temps will be warmer for a bit till underhood temperatures stabilize. Today was 226.3 miles of average trail riding. Temps around 10F, 8-10" of fresh snow on thursday night so trails freshly groomed and lots of traffic but conditions on the mealy side. Speeds anywhere from 30-85mph. Belt temps averaged 127-135F all day long. This wasnt driving hard but at a brisk pace with occassional full throttle pulls in the straights using timken xs825 belt. My opinion is when clutched correctly for your riding style you should be able to keep belt temps in the 145-160 range riding aggressively with ultimax belt providing outside temps arent hot like end of season riding. Ive found harder belt compounds like 8DN usually have cooler belt temps but slightly warmer sheave temps and softer belt compounds have cool sheave temps but slightly warmer belt temps. Just my experience anyway. Each sled is going to be different cause of all the variables.......different riding conditions, gear ratios, tracks , belts used, rider weight etc. When you have a setup that feels good........see if you can improve it. In MY opinion if your average temps in good conditions are much over 150 degrees you likely have some inefficiencies that can be improved upon.

Back