• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installation of Rocztoyz Starter Saver

I have ten thousand on mine, wondering if I should buy starter and starter clutch before I have any issues
I would put Rocz starter saver on your machine. I know exactly when mine got stuck on . We were 15 miles from cabin getting a bite to eat and when we came out my daughter
needed help so I didn't pay attention when I started it . If I would have had the light to show me it was stuck on all would have been good .

I made a homemade starter saver so i always look at the light when I’m starting it.

Let's say the light stays on when you start it. Assuming the starter solenoid relay is sticking on, does turning the key off remove power to the relay or are more drastic measures required?

some times you need to get in and pull the cables but beats burning a sled down when it sticks on 20+ miles down the trail.

some times you need to get in and pull the cables but beats burning a sled down when it sticks on 20+ miles down the trail.

Is there a better way to shut the starter down when it sticks? It would take a while to pull the cables of the battery. Could you just remove certain fuses.

when it sticks like that, it means the starter solenoid has welded the terminals together and the only way to stop the starter is to disconnect one side of the solenoid from the battery or the starter.

when it sticks like that, it means the starter solenoid has welded the terminals together and the only way to stop the starter is to disconnect one side of the solenoid from the battery or the starter.

Buy the time you remove everything to get to the battery I would think that the starter would be shot anyway, especially if you are on the trail.

the hood and air box come off suprisingly quick when they need to as the intake clamps do not grab that hard and the bungee on the front slips off quick. just need to get to the soleniod and rip a cable off of it. usually it will be hot enough by then that the cable will pull out of the eye soldered on the end or jerking on the wire will disrupt the current flow for the solenoid to shut off the starter.

So question for you guys . If the starter sticks on and that melts the starter solenoid. Then I should be installing a new starter and a new solenoid?? I’m guessing there is a way to test both . Can someone explain how ?

the hood and air box come off suprisingly quick when they need to as the intake clamps do not grab that hard and the bungee on the front slips off quick. just need to get to the soleniod and rip a cable off of it. usually it will be hot enough by then that the cable will pull out of the eye soldered on the end or jerking on the wire will disrupt the current flow for the solenoid to shut off the starter.

I have a 2018 Vector. I am not sure what you mean by the intake clamps. I thought the only way you could get the air box off was to remove the headlight & windshield cluster. I don't have the machine home with me so I can't see how it comes apart. Is it possible to put a cut off switch some where so you don't have to go through this procedure.

Would be nice if there was a smaller version of a battery interrupt switch that could be mounted on the oil tank side. This way if the starter does happen to stay on a quick slip off the side panel to shut down the sled. The ones I have done for the local fire dept trucks are too big.

Easy solution, would/could Rocztoyz also sell us a suitable battery interrupt switch. Many of us could work out a suitable location for our particular model and share that info with others.

So turn the key to the off position and the kill switch down will not shut down the starter if it sticks ??

So a starter solenoid is an electromagnetic device. It gets a low current signal from the key switch. This in turn causes full battery amperage to go to the starter motor. This would power the starter motor and pull or engage the starter drive. You would not want that much current to flow through the key switch. So is there some thing different in the Yamaha 4 stroke sled circuits? If the solenoid sticks. And the light stays on. After all the work to get to the starter should the whole unit be replaced? Also the one way clutch? And is this light just to prevent further damage. Or it is it also a way to get back to home or to the trailer? I assume pulling the cables stops the starter. But maybe not the engine since the alternator might keep the engine running. Unless of course the fuel pump relay kills. Or the ignition. Might be wishful thinking.But if the starter drive is engaged with the flywheel that might not work either. Just wondering I guess stopping the sled would be better than causing further damage. Interested but very curious as to the whole scenario. Obviously you would not want to drive down the trail with the starter engaged. So this product sounds like a great idea!

Last edited:

Back