• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Intermittent lean condition

stephenpen

Expert
I was out on the machine and I saw my AFR go from 11.5 to 20-30. I could not understand why.
I took the exhaust sensor out and changed it and nothing.
Randon lean mostly off throttle. I was trying to figure out how to check the donuts and I noticed a loose hose clamp on the main fuel line.
Tightened it up and my AFR is perfect again. I was thinking of installing a fuel pressure gauge but I alway go over board with all the gauges. Maybe I should. What is stock fuel pressure
Now I wonder what else could be loose or not done right.

What AFR gauge are you using? Some don't even read that high. I thought that maybe the engine wouldn't even run, that AFR wouldn't support combustion.
Just FYI, a cylinder misfire or fuel cutoff / rev limit will cause a misleading lean spike because the unburned air / oxygen gets passed right into the exhaust... gets read by the sensor.

mbarryracing said:
What AFR gauge are you using? Most don't read that high.
A cylinder misfire or fuel cutoff / rev limit will cause a lean spike because the unburned air / oxygen gets passed right into the exhaust... gets read by the sensor.

I was suprised to see it read that high too.
Its a prologger

It would only flash 20+ for a second. It was like the fuel line sucked air for a split second.

Did the engine stutter or stumble? The sensors don't react that quick, especially since it takes a 1/2 second for the mixture to enter the exhaust stream and travel to the sensor...

You could hear a stutter at the same time the gauge read high.
I was only going 30kmh ish at the time and turned back right away.

Idle fuel pressure is 36.3 psi/lbs or 250kPa.

A fuel gauge is great for tuning purposes, I have one I connect whenever I need to check fuel pressure.

I have been haveing a similar issue with my super and prologger set up. Sometimes at wot my AFR will spike all crazy up to like 30 of 40(crazy right i figured it would of poped the motor that high) then if i chop the throttle for a second and get back on it, it will be normal again. It has been doing it off and on for the last two rides. I inspected the exhaust system and found some cracks in the header pipe before the o2 so I welded them up and hoped that was it. Next ride same thing. Sled runns great and never misses a beat so I am thinking it is a o2 starting to go out. Any other ideas??

Does it do that after a constant throttle cruise? What was the AFR reading before it all full of a sudden spikes to 30-40? Might be heat related, a sensor frapping out.. Especially if you don't feel or hear the engine bog or stumble at that moment, then it's likely a false reading.

Ya it seems to happen when boondocking after a bit of wot. Never felt anything different with the way the sled was running. Afr's is about 11.5 at wot no matter how long i hold it there. Sometimes it might dip a bit to around 10 but most wot pulls are right around 11.5. I have been trying to get a good look at the gems when this happens and it stills shows that it is fueling in the red mode when the afr's go all crazy so I believe that the contorller is still working. Exhaust dought nuts are shot maybe? o2 on the way out?

Heat wreaks havoc on electrical components, 02 sensors are not immune. An exhaust leak wouldn't change so drastic so quick.
Try a new sensor...

The lean spikes could be from raw fuel hitting the O2 sensor, its a faultily reading. This happens if the sled misses or hits the rev limiter. I had this happen before also, scared the #$%&* out of me. I know it should do the opposite but ive found it show lead momentarily. Maybe thats whats happening with your sled.

Stock rev limiter is a fuel cut type, so no raw fuel from that...
A misfire, yes.

He had mentioned the sled doesn't miss a beat, but could be happening un-noticed...

Raw fuel will make the AFR read 20.9 for most systems, that equals to full lean. A higher reading is most likely caused by heat, faulting sensor or an electrical condition. At full lean your engine will not run.

I have learned that all gas is not the same, I seem so be a sucker for high octane and would fill up at a certain gas station whome would have 94 octane. When I fill up at this place, my fuel air ratio is all over the place and lean. If I fill up at any other place with 92 octane, my fuel air ratio is bang on to where it should be. I run 5-7Pds. of boost at any given time unless I go to the mountains.
Mabee try a different gas than your usual. I know we all have our favourite places to buy gas, but what is good for our sleds sometimes takes residence.

Back