• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is there an oil pan on an rx1? And is it removeable without pulling the motor?

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2012 nytro, 2003 rx1 turboed, 2002 mountain max 700
Hey all!! Ive got an 03 rx1 and the 3 bolts that bolt the flywheel setup to the magneto have sheered off. Luckily it didn't seize my engine. I was lucky enough to spin the bolt ends out of the mag with my thumb but ive only found 2 of 3 bolt heads. I cant stomach the thought of putting it back together not having the 3rd in my hand. But i really dont want to pull the motor out. Anyone had this issue? Is the drain plug magnetic? Is there an oil pan on these that can be removed? Thank in advance for any info!!

You definitely need to remove the engine to remove the oil pan. However, I don't see how the sheered bolt head would make it into the oil. Should be somewhere in the magneto cover when you removed it or fell into the bottom of the engine compartment. Could be sitting on to of bottom panel that you remove to change the oil.

Last edited:
20160909_142325.jpg

On the other side of that hole I'm pointing at is the crank/connecting rod. I only found 2 bolt heads. Hopefully one fell out and i didnt notice but i doubt it.

I see your issue. Unfortunately, nothing magnetic in the oil pan to trap it if it made it in there. A tough call to make, leave it and hope for the best, or pull the engine as not sure if the bolt head would make it to the oil pan or be caught in the lower crankcase. Hopefully someone on site that has taken these engines apart can give you some advice. ("grizztracks" or "hibshman25" would be worth contacting)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Im new to this page but ill try to figure out how to contact people. Ill pull the drain on the bottom of the engine and see if theres any chunks. Maybe it crunched itself up into small pieces.

Just an idea, I have had the occasional bolt/fastener drop down into the abyss in other areas of the engine compartment, I have generally had good luck with a flexible magnetic retrieval tool fishing around any available space to come up with the missing component.
Not sure how far you are able to work a magnet down in that area you are pointing too, but may be worth a try.
Alternately, you could remove oil drain plug and work the magnet around as best you can to see if you come up with anything.
Good luck,
master-magnetics-07229-flexible-magnetic-pickup-flexible-magnet-pickup_2096567.jpg

I removed my oil pan last year without removing my engine. The previous owner had smashed the pan and jb welded it along with rtv for a gasket. I was able to drop it by drilling some rivets and dropping the plate below the oil pan. It's no big deal to do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I gently rolled over a rock and cracked my pan and I too was able to take bottom plate off by drilling out rivets,and I now have bought a skid plate for the next rock!

Back