• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is there an update to the 03 RX jackshaft bearing?

lancef53

Pro
Just wondering, I thought someone was talking about it a while ago. Is there a bearing that doesn't require the secondary clutch to be tight? Anyone have the part number?

Thanks, Lance

I'm not sure exactly what your talking about the "secondary not having to be tight".
If your referring to the updated jackshaft locking collar for the 03 models,which prevent the bearing/collar to spin on the jackshaft (update standard on the 04 and above I believe) do a search in RX General talk for "jackshaft".
lot and lots of info for this (part #'s, procedure, problems and solutions guys have encountered, ect.).
Eric

Edit:"by looking at your profile - you have a turbo, and probably done this and lots more to your sled - I suspect this isn't what your looking for. Sorry"

The bearing I have has a wedge-lock type collar between the bearing and the shaft, and if the secondary isn't tight, that wedge comes loose. I thought there was a different bearing with a normal lock collar that replaced it. My dealer said the 03 and 04 were the same, I thought they were different.

Thanks, Lance

The bearings are the same. The collars are different. In 04, the insert is threaded with a locking nut. You are correct that by "locking down" the secondary, the original collar cannot come out. Just be sure the alignment is dead on if in fact the secondary is locked. Most guys are replacing this bearing as a part of routine maintenance, even if the collar does not let go. Mine went out at 4,000 miles. Others are not going this far, but my buddy made 6,000.

Mine was replaced in the fall of 2003 with 800 miles on it. The factory knew there was a problem and had already changed to the locknut system and bought me everything including the jackshaft that was ruined, Ken.

My sled has about 900 miles, and I can see where the collar is going to be a problem, that is why I was curious. I get nothing but blank stares from my dealer, does anybody knoe the part numbers of the new collar and parts that I need?

Is it possible to change it to a bearing that doesn't need the collar and just uses a normal lock collar? I would prefer to have the secondary float a little, to make sure the alignment is correct.

Parts List

Go to the yamaha Parts Finder...http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Look up your sled...Look under secondary sheave...Take a look at the 03....Then go and look up an 04...you will see the different parts needed...

The collar in no way affects your secondarys ability to float from side to side as I am pretty sure it needs to....It locks the bearing to the jackshaft. The new collar is easy to put in and will not fail like the split tapered sleve did.....When I changed out all my bearings at 6000 miles I never knew that there was this new locking collar and I had put that old collar back in...it lasted about 100 miles before comming out on the trail....I was able to push it back in and limp home....

Thanks for the help, I hadn't found the thread with the part numbers yet. Did anyone ever find a bearing with a lock collar to use instead of this setup? Seems like Yamaha is trying to reinvent the wheel for no good reason, this setup doesn't seem to last near as long as the simple setup used on the arctic cats or polaris's I have head in the past.

Thanks for the help :Rockon: :rocks:

Collar: 8FA-17645-10-00
Bearing: 93306-20650-00
Nut: 8FA-17642-00-00

I haven't heard or read anyone using a different set-up than this for the 03-to04 update (i.e a bearing with a locking collar as you have suggested).
E

ecarnell said:

I haven't heard or read anyone using a different set-up than this for the 03-to04 update (i.e a bearing with a locking collar as you have suggested).
E
Don't forget the new Washer and Washer Plate as I believe the spacing changes slightly, the following is everything you need. You may not need the bearing if yours is fine and that part does not change, but it may be a good idea to put a new one in while your at it. Also this bearing's inner race is tapered, so it matters as to which way you put it in. Read through the posts that Convert quoted, there's some good pictures and info there. Just did mine a month ago.
Don
Washer: 90209-25012-00
Washer Plate: 90201-25289-00

Back